Introducing templates, for Tasks!

Hi there. Can the creation of a task from a task template be triggered via the API, like a project template? Looking to reduce the amount of actions used to automate some existing workflows, of course! Thanks.

3 Likes

I’m finding it hard to describe how EXCITED I am for this! I have been asking for/waiting for this feature for years! Thank you!!!

4 Likes

Is this going through a phased rollout because I don’t see it yet in my account?

2 Likes

Not yet. We’re hoping this will get added to the API at some point. :pray:

cc: @Ross_Grambo :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Please see my reply just above:

5 Likes

“Other projects” addition would be welcome.

8 Likes

Task Templates are local to a specific project. Can same task template be available in multiple projects? Possibly with “Other projects” functionality.

I tried to resolve the issue by adding Task Template to Project Template to make the same Task template be available in all projects created from Template, but everything in template is being cloned except for the Task Template.

I do have possibility to have sample of the task in Project Template that can be converted into Task Template upon every project instantiation from template, but it would be great to avoid these workarounds.

EDIT: There is possibility to add Task Templates to Project Templates now and they are now available in project instances.

7 Likes

I tried to resolve the issue by adding Task Template to Project Template to make the same Task template be available in all projects created from Template, but everything in template is being cloned except for the Task Template.

Confirmed that Task Templates added to a Project Template are not carried/copied to new Projects created from the Project Template. I would presume most customers use project templates, so this hurts the usability of this feature by quite a bit for us and others :frowning:

I might be mistaken, but it appears you cannot create a new Task from a Task Template from the Board view (screenshot 2 only shows how to convert to a Task Template).

6 Likes

Hi @anon9578225
I just checked and you can certainly create a task template in board view.
The feature is available.

Below is a screen shot:
If you are facing issues, I suggest opening a new thread and reporting it as a bug.

1 Like

This is great.

Ideas/feedback: You should make templates available for other projects than the ones they are created in. Example: We have a board for new sales clients in Location 1, and a separate board for new sales clients in Location 2. You might have 10-12 separate boards like that in a big organisation. Right now, I’m creating a template manually in every one - but it would be smarter if I just create a template in the first one, and then I can select it and add it to the other projects too. So they live as separate templates in each project, but they can be “selected” from a sort of library. Hope this makes sense.

18 Likes

Oh, and another functionality would be to connect it to the forms, perhaps enabling a form to aim to fill out a certain template? Thus, the followers of that template, and other rules related to it, would automatically be triggered.

14 Likes

Great idea @Andreas_Loftager

Shall we move it to product feedback category and track progress for it there, @Emily_Roman & @Marie ?

4 Likes

Agree, @Rashad_Issa!

Thanks for your feedback @Andreas_Loftager! would you mind creating new threads in our #productfeedback for these requests? It would be great if you could add your use case and a title! I could move your comment but I think having more details could help other customers to see how this can be implemented in their workflows and upvote! Thanks!

5 Likes

I am not sure if @Andreas_Loftager’s request has been moved to the other community as yet, but I have the same request and am finding it hard to navigate the many comments on the product feedback page.

2 Likes

I love this feature!
But I would like you to enable templates to attach files / images.
We use templates not only as organized tasks but also as work flow manual .
When use as latter, file attachment is MUST!

9 Likes

I have not moved my comment yet. Will do so later. I already had other issues come up that I will add to the feedback thread.

1 Like

+1 for a Task Template trigger via API.

2 Likes

This is awesome! I think the only thing it’s missing for me is this showing up on the Project Overview page.

5 Likes

I agree, this would be quite usful!

One work-around to recreating the same task in multiple projects would be to create it once, add it to the new project board when it is created, duplicate it on the new project board and then convert the duplicate into the Task Template. While it isn’t the simplest work-around it should save you from having to manually re-create the task from scratch for each project board (assuming the template task is the same for all of the project boards).

3 Likes

Task templates, when created inside of a project template, do not seem to get carried over whenever a new project is created from the project template. This seems like bug given that rules and other items in the customize menu do carry over when created projects from templates.

1 Like