Introducing our new Spreadsheet-Inspired List View!

I’m clearly an outlier as well, but I’m quite excited by the new grid format…it works very nicely for our type of projects. I was as surprised as everyone by the roll-out, and understand the associated concerns. Having an opt-in, opt-out choice seems an easy solution. I like Tanner’s suggestions 1 and 2, and share the concerns about Sections. Being able to format custom fields to a greater degree ( like Excel, ie, Currency, number, etc. ) would also be helpful. I’m hopeful this is part of bigger and better things from Asana.

1 Like

Really, really don’t like this new format.

• Much, much too wide. There’s a reason most websites’ containers are 1400px~ or similar. There’s a massive disconnect between what’s on the left in the task name and what’s in the fields on the right. Like, it’s genuinely awful.
  • Clicking on a section does, well, what now? Before it highlighted and selected it, allowing for me to then press Enter to make a task within that section
  • … speaking of, how on earth am I supposed to make a task within a section?
  • What happened to the ability to make a section from within the task list? Tab+N (an unintuitive shortcut, btw) is not the same as the ease of the previous #Section Name method.
  • The other colleagues who’ve had this rolled out to them have been really confused about the immense amount of white space.
13 Likes

So have this update for about a week.

Now I predominantly work out of My Task view. So project List View is not something I predominantly work in.

Yes I prefer it over the previous, I feel like I have more control over what I see, tags, custom fields, projects etc.

Really like the Sub Tasks detail this has been really beneficial for My Meetings task I now know easily how many actions are associated. I also feel that I can now create Subtasks off an action Task without feeling like I am going to lose or forget something with assigning it to me and putting a date on it.

Yes this has changed my workflow both bad and good. Just need to work through it and make it work best for me.

Looking forward to seeing the next stages of this as Asana develops and reacts to not only their users feedback but also internally as they use Asana to run their growing and successful company.

Jason …

1 Like

@Jason_Woods, did you mean to post this in Introducing our new Spreadsheet-Inspired List View! - #138 by Ruth_Newnham ?

1 Like

Yep…

1 Like

@JTB, @Patrick14,
Previously you were able to mark sections complete, which would automatically hide them if your view was set to incomplete tasks only; this is slightly different from deleting Sections. We’re currently working on roll out new Sections that are collapsable, while this won’t fully resolved the issue, it should help reducing visual nuisance. If you haven’t yet, I would also recommend adding your vote to this thread Archive a Section in a Project - #6 by Clare_Freeman as it could be another option to adapt your workflows!

2 Likes

@Chris_Koboldt and @Michael_Schmitz, you may be interested in my #productfeedback suggestion: Customize the new List View for all projects at once

1 Like

Can we resize the task details with the new grid view? it’s taking up half the screen & I’d prefer it to be a little bit narrower, so i can see some of the grid fields while I scroll.
I attempted to hover over the space in between, but it doesn’t seem to let me move the window.

2 Likes

Not at the moment @Susan_Shevelenko, but I would encourage you to post a new thread in the #productfeedback category to support this feature request!

What I didn’t like in the old view was that everything was clipped because of how narrow the columns were. It was hard to see multiple tags and multiple projects and custom fields with longer names. BUT the overall design was much cleaner, faster, and easier to use.

I generally like grid views but this one isn’t working for me. Too hard to track from left to right and not enough ability to move and resize. I end up putting Asana in it’s window and resizing the window to bring the columns closer to the tasks. To be more functional, I’d like to have the columns sit right beside the task name with unused white space to the right; more flexibility in column resizing; resizing of the task pane or at least have it be smaller or resize dynamically

Alternatively, get rid of the grid view and just have everything stack up against the task name. I’d prefer this view because it keeps things tight. Here’s a screen shot of a competitor I used for years b/f switching to Asana that shows an example of this. You can see everything and strikes a balance between compact and uncluttered (note the subtasks inline and sections and tasks are all collapsible. hint hint).

2 Likes

Can you say why Tags were not included in the default view? We have hundreds of projects in the works and going into each project and turning on the tags is not practical. Why not include tags in the default view??

4 Likes

My account still doesn’t have this feature. Do you have an ETA when everyone will have this?

Thank you.

is it possible to enter a task name, assignee, tag and due date in list view without touching the mouse?

It doesnt seem possible which is putting quite a bit of friction for me when entering tasks. Im pretty sure i used to be able to do this?? It seems like the side panel needs to be open to do this? I would prefer not to open the side panel when entering a lot of tasks in quickly.

am i doing something wrong?

3 Likes

Thanks @Marie for pointing me out to this announcement. I can see how I missed it last month. I particularly do not like this table / spreadsheet inspired view. I think Asana’s design is unique and user friendly away from the norms of excel. Going back to such view takes away that feel of the platform.
On another note, I like how the task view can appear and hide after work on it is done. Just wanted to share my feedback.

3 Likes

i also wanted to note that the right hand side panel comes over quite a bit further in list view than if you are viewing a saved report. It would be good if it was consistent. In list view, the side panel looks to be too far toward the middle of the screen.

2 Likes

I’ll spare you my opinion on the update which appears the be the same as everyone else however my question is why are you no longer able to enter notes for a header?

Are we able to opt-out of this? I don’t remember opting in but our staff are finding the new List View frustrating. The Details pane used to open automatically when creating a new task, and now it doesn’t. So there’s extra clicks involved, and we’re finding orphaned tasks being half created then lost. For example, if you add a due date, the new task jumps from the bottom of the list (where it had no due date) up to wherever that new due date falls in the list, and you need to hunt or search to find it again to finish filling out other details.

5 Likes

more friction:

In list view if i select a task with the arrow key (its highlighted) and then press TAB-T to add a tag, i cannot then add a tag! The tag field is selected but i cant enter any tags. I have to subsequently hit ENTER to get into the tag field (one extra action than should be required), then I enter the tags.

At this stage i cant hit ENTER to confirm this and get out of this field. I am now stuck in this field unless i click out of the field with my mouse, and then when i click out of the field and on to the highlighted task or another task, the side panel opens! So then i have to close it.

This is feeling a bit crazy - lots of extra actions required to do a simple thing of adding a tag to a task in a list.

What i would expect is: select task, hit TAB-T, add tag, move on. That’s 3 actions to achieve the outcome of adding a tag to a task. In comparison, with list view its 6 actions, twice as many as it should be.

2 Likes

Hi @Micah_Noble, We’re currently updating Sections in the List view, the new Sections will behave just like column in Boards, which explains why you can’t add metadata to them! More info in this article from our Guide: Using Asana List Layout | Product Guide • Asana Product Guide

@Paul_Cunningham, please have a look to this other post in which I explain why there is no option to opt out from this update: Introducing our new Spreadsheet-Inspired List View! - #82

Now the view to differ between tasks and sections is very hard. Before the sections are bolder and the black line under the section was very important to focus the view. Please bring it back very fast. In long list views i am now lost and do not have a overview anymore. This is very very bad and hard. DId you not recognice this through your a/b tests and your UX designers? You at Asana are working with yout own product, did your team not recognize this? I can not understand this.

3 Likes