Include rules owned as part of deprovisionning a profile

Hi,

Because people’s rules will be disabled once they are removed from an org, their deprovisioning project (with their tasks) should also include a list of rules they owned.

See Can't change owner or rule - #3 by Matthew_Drury

PS: and also templates owned?

Hi @Bastien_Siebman, this is a great question! When you deprovision someone who has Rules, their Rule will be paused and ownership of any Rules on projects will be passed to the Project Owner or Admin. However, as you mentioned, the list is not added to the project shared with the Admins when the user is deprovisioned.

We don’t have immediate plans to add this option but I’ll keep this thread updated once I have any news! Thank for sharing your feedback!

Are they being notified so they can resume the rules?

1 Like

Unfortunately they are not notified in their inbox about this change. I’ll make sure to send this feedback to our product team so it can be considered in future updates!

1 Like

@Emily_Roman why is this even an issue?

Why would a rule be paused? You don’t ‘pause’ a project if no project owner. When I go to set up Asana for clients it is very odd that they have to go back and reactivate the rules I set up for them.

What is the logic behind this? Rules should be like fields. Either everyone can edit, or a checkbox where only the creator can edit.

I thought I posted this in feedback but can’t find it. I’ll post again.

1 Like

I just ran into this issue when someone left our organization. This is really frustrating that rules are turned off and no one is notified. I can see arguments for leaving rules on and for turning them off, but especially at an enterprise level, we really need notifications for when a deprovisioned account can have such a potentially huge impact on the workflow of an entire team or group. This adds a big unknown to the offboarding process and has potential to waste a lot of time troubleshooting.

2 Likes

@Emily_Roman any update on this?

This can cause a HUGE issue. If you have someone setting up rules for your entire org and they leave, your entire org’s automations are paused. I cannot fathom why this would be the case. Why would you purposely crimple your company?

2 Likes

Hi @Getz_Pro, thanks for sharing your feedback here. I’m afraid I don’t have updates about the option to get a list of Rules after a user is deprovisioned but I think we have a better workaround now!

We’ve made improvements to Rules recently to empower teams to do more together. Rules, much like custom fields, are now by default editable by other members of the project.

In this case, if you create a Rule and is editable by other members, when you deprovision the Rule creator, the new Rule Owner will be the Project Owner (who will automatically have edit access since the Rule is editable by other members) and the Rule will continue active.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions!

1 Like

Thanks @Emily_Roman and although that is a partial fix to the future state, what should happen is if a rule is locked and the rule owner is deprovisioned, the rule ownership should transfer to the project owner. Or at least to an Asana admin with a not in the inbox.

2 Likes