In List view, why can't i see all projects a task is shared with?

Hello,
When i have my project in list view and i have the custom field “projects” selected, why is it that i can’t see some of the projects that i know a task is shared in? Sometimes it is blank?
Thank you,
Kenna

Hi @Kenna_Robins, thanks for reaching out! Is it possible that some of the tasks you see in your My Tasks are actually subtasks? If so, in order to see the project, you would need to first add the subtask to the project.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Hello,
It isn’t in My Tasks, actually. I am wondering when i am viewing a project in List View, if i have the custom field for “PRojects” turned on so i can see what projects a task is in in the LIst View, why i can’t see some of the projects listed if i know a task is shared?
thank you,
Kenna

I see what you mean, @Kenna_Robins! If the task is added to two projects,the second project will appear in the Projects column in List view. If the task is only added to the project you are currently viewing the Projects field will be black. The Projects column will only show extra projects the task is added.

I hope this helps to clarify! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Emily,
I noticed this behavior today and I’m finding it very confusing.
Can you help me understand how to get a list of all the projects a particular task is associated with?
For example:

• I do an advanced search.
  • The only item I search on is: Incomplete tasks

I long list of tasks is returned.

• take a look at the results.

The usability problem here is that each some tasks, e.g. XXX does not show that it is associated with a project.

If I go to the details page for XXX, I can see that it is part of: Project123

This makes the advanced search much less useful than it might be! (And it’s frustrating!)

Any suggestions?

The use case for this:

• I am new to helping to PM the work done by this team.
  • I’m exploring tasks that have come up in meetings and trying to see which tasks belong to which projects.

I can’t seem to find an answer to this question. Why can’t I see what project a task is associated with from the My Tasks list view? There is no option to add a column that indicates project association that I can find. Without the project name, it’s impossible to tell what the task really means without clicking to expand the task. It makes the My Tasks view inefficient at best and unusable at worst.

Please help.

ie. Which report needs closing? The project name references which grant program the report is associated with. Without that information these tasks are not very helpful from list view.

@Rachael_Austin,

As explained earlier in this thread, subtasks are not actually associated with a project by default, they’re associated with their parent task (which often is associated to the project).

You can vote for this feature by going to the link below and clicking the purple vote button at the top:

Larry