ID Custom Fields: Best Practices?

Hi everyone,

Our team has been utilizing the ID custom field for each project, which has proven to be very effective for searching and referencing tasks based on their IDs. However, we’re now facing a challenge: our custom field library is overflowing with IDs from every project, including archived ones. This situation is becoming unmanageable and doesn’t seem scalable in the long run.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue? If so, how have you addressed it? I’m looking for best practices or strategies to keep our custom field library organized and scalable. Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 Like

What kind of projects do you do?

It sounds like you are using custom ID’s for projects that you finish, and I don’t think the fields are intended for those kind of projects as you’ll be eating ID field names with each project.

It seems more fit for process type projects.

Although I must say I agree that referencing the right task in the right project can be tricky with current functionality. If you have the task with the same name living in multiple projects currently it’s really hard to see which one you’re referencing.

Tricky.

Would you mind we move this to Tips and Tricks ? Way more people will see this and be able to chip in.

1 Like

You’re right, Jan-Rienk. We are using these for projects that have a start and end date. We think the only option may be to delete the custom field from the library when we are ‘done’ with a project and archive it. Unsure if there are any other recommendations!

1 Like

I am running into this issue too. Would it make sense to have 1 overarching ID for all projects? I do not know if Asana will generate different ID numbers for different projects with the same ID.

1 Like

@Christina_Chong,

In the direction that @Marissa_Wise was heading: you don’t need to create a distinct custom ID field for every project unless you need a unique prefix for each project. If you don’t need that, then you can create a custom ID field and use it in as many projects as you like; Asana will create unique IDs across all of the projects in which it’s used.

4 Likes

:man_facepalming: Of course!

Thanks @Phil_Seeman

1 Like

WOAAAHHHH :exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head: the answer to my problems! Thank youuu!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.