I can't delete a column; what am I doing wrong?

I did not have the button and now I do… very weird :sweat_smile:

Deleting the task did not work for me. I had to create a new column, move the task to that column, then the Delete button appeared. The problem that I have now is that I have a new column which I don’t need which I cannot delete again.

To delete a column you need to completely empty it. And to do so you need to show all tasks (complete and incomplete), move them or delete them, then delete the column.

2 Likes

Hi @Zahir_Mosaib, that’s really strange! If all of the tasks of your column are deleted, you should definitely have the option to delete your column. Are you able to reproduce the issue with another column? If so, let me know and I’ll be more than happy to look into this for you!

This would be absolutely amazing. Been wanting this as well. Would love to be able to refer back to old tasks. But don’t want the clutter.

4 Likes

Hello Marie. Do you possibly know, if there’s any possibility to change the way how deleting columns on the boards works? It’s terrible and inevitable real pain to delete all the tasks separately just for deleting the column. As well the deleting shortcut doesn’t allow to use one hand only and to the top of that one has to open the task and than delete it… It’s… hard.

1 Like

I know this post is a year old, but I am having the same problem. I am only given the option to Rename a column, not delete it.

I also am having the same problem. I didn’t have a problem earlier this week.

Hi @Dryden and @Rebekah_Spicuglia ! Are they any tasks left in your column? Can you verify if there aren’t any completed ones hiding by setting your view to “all tasks”: Set up Board view for your Project • Asana Product Guide?

I would love if you could archive columns. This changes the game for me using storyboard mode if not.

4 Likes

Hi @Greg_Johnston You can vote for this feature request on the following thread: Archiving columns in the board view - #2 by Caisha

1 Like

There are no tasks left in the column, they are empty and yet I’m unable to remove them.

You are very very sure there are no completed tasks left in the column?

Hi @Dryden, can you make sure your Board view isn’t set to show “Incomplete tasks” only? Set up Board view for your Project • Asana Product Guide you might find some completed tasks if you switch your view to “All tasks”!

Keep us posted!

I am having the same problem!

Hi @Maude_Standish! Have you followed the advice above? I can't delete a column; what am I doing wrong? - #21 by Marie

Mi Marie,
most people want to be able to archive or delete it without deleting all tasks (completed or not) before. Could this be fixed asap?

1 Like

We need to be able to go back to old tasks, so deleting them is not an option for us. We would like to be able to remove a column without affecting the tasks.

And the Board is a view of the tasks, right? That’s how we’ve trained ourselves to think of it anyway, so we don’t add or delete tasks when in the Board. So if it’s a view, in theory you should be able to manipulate those columns without having to do anything to the tasks.

1 Like

Hi @Flen and all!

Quick update to let you know we’re rolling out an update allowing you to delete Columns/Sections even when they contain tasks, so you don’thave to empty your column/Section before you can delete it. We’re rolling this update gradually, as of today it is available to 20% of our customers, and we’re to roll it out to everyone within the next couple of days; so if you’re not seeing this option in your account just yet, don’t worry it will soon be available to you!

Let me know if you have any questions!

1 Like

Hi, Marie!

How can I move to the group of those 20% of customers who have an option to delete columns?

1 Like