How to pronounce "Asana" for Siri

Hello friends! Now that we have a Siri integration (yay!), how does one pronounce Asana? Siri says it like “ah-SAH-na.” But everyone in my organization says “AH-sana.”

Now, normally I’d just be like, “Well snap. We’re saying it wrong!”

But my understanding is that the product name comes from the Sanskrit term often used in yoga, which happens to be our business. We say “AH-sana” like, a hundred times a day, referring to yoga postures. So of course we thought the product was pronounced the same way. We can’t be the only ones who get confused by this!

Is there any chance the Siri integration could support both methods of pronunciation? :kissing_closed_eyes:

7 Likes

Thanks for the feedback and great suggestion.

The company and the product are both pronounced “ah-SAH-na”, which offers some distinction from their origin term as you detailed. We do often hear customers use the Sanskrit pronunciation as well, and it’s easy to understand the confusion.

I’ve passed along your suggestion to our mobile team to consider for future development of the Siri integration, and in the meantime, I hope the new pronunciation will work for the team :grin:

6 Likes

Thanks for listening! That’s the most we can ask for :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

We don’t use Siri, but when we’re in a Zoom meeting with transcription turned on, all of our tasks are taking place in “a sauna” so I’ve started to use the yoga pronunciation to keep meeting transcripts useful.

4 Likes

I intentionally pronounce it the Sanskrit way, because it’s most appropriate for the actual purpose of the product, which is a series of smaller movements that make up a greater flow for a “sum is greater than the parts” outcome. I think it’s dumb that the company pronounces it different.