How to Organize Teams and Projects Working on Multiple Brand Initiatives?

Our small organization (under 20 employees) consists of three separate brands (Doctor-facing Membership, Consumer-facing Platform, and a Brick+Mortar Practice),

Most employees support 2 of the 3 brands OR all 3. (Example: Head of Ops at the Brick+Mortar also creates content for the Doc-Facing Membership Brand…but does nothing on the Consumer -facing platform)

I’m trying to find the best way to organize all of our projects crossing between each company to create better clarity as well as ensuring members who work across multiple brands are not getting overbooked.

The general consensus I’m finding on these forums is to organize our Asana like so:

Teams = Marketing, Sales, Support, Content, Events, Operations
Portfolios = Brand 1 Projects, Brand 2 Projects, Brand 3 Projects

But I’m thinking it would be best to do:

Teams = Brand 1, Brand 2, Brand 3
Portfolios = Marketing Projects, Sales Projects, Support Projects, Content Projects, Events Projects, Operations Projects

Will I miss out on some sort of advantage / function by going this route??

2 Likes

Following up on this with an even better example:

I saw on another forum someone explain “Teams” as: groups of people that would most likely work on the same projects together.

I am technically on a marketing “team” – but I ONLY work on projects for Brand 1.

Our content person works on projects between all 3 Brands.

So I would think if I am primarily working with Brand 1, my team should be Brand 1, and all content projects across all brands would be organized into the “Content Portfolio” for those working across multiple brands.

I also like using the “Teams” for the individual brands so that we can track the individual “Team Goals” i.e. the three company goals/subgoals etc.

2 Likes

Welcome, @Jalisa_Reitz,

It’s risky to make recommendations without a discovery session, but I think I’d likely recommend an “all the above” solution with respect to teams:

• Teams = Brand 1, Brand 2, Brand 3, Marketing, Sales, Support, Content, Events, Operations

You could be a member of Marketing and Brand 1. Your content person would be in Content and all three brand teams.

You might not need so many portfolios this way, but if you will get value out of them, by all means create them all too.

Thanks,

Larry

3 Likes

Hi @Jalisa_Reitz

Welcome to the forum. Larry’s explanation is easy to set up.
I think for you to make the best decision, I thought I would share the following:

In organisations, you have functional team, and matrix teams.
Functional teams are your department teams - HR, Legal, Operations, Marketing, IT, etc…
In many large organisations, procersses are mapped out between functional teams so the hand off in a process is (sometimes) clear. For Functional Teams, TEAMS in Asana is a good set up.

Matrix Teams or in other language you might find an organisation operates in a projectised environment. This work is mainly having diverse skills all work on one project. For instance, one project team consists of the manager, the marketing, the HR, the developer, the financier, the analyst, etc… This group of people can work on a single project and can be grouped under one TEAM in asana as well.

You need to be clear as to how you wish to utilise the feature and which set up you aim for. And if you aim for both set ups, then make sure each team is clear.

One other thing to consider is the size of work that the team undertakes per brand.
As you are a small organisation, my advise is to keep it simple.

Your statement seems reasonable :slight_smile:
Later on, if you want to start creating organisational assets and process flows related only to content, you can then create a content team.

Whatever you do, you are at an excisting time deploying asana, and always remember, things will change and that is OK!

Happy Unicorn :unicorn:

Rashad

5 Likes