How do you organize your to-dos in My Tasks?

That I know :slight_smile: But I would like my teammates to see the same view as me with my categorization in “My Task”

Current Week:
Next week:
+2 Weeks:

etc.

Now the only see a long list of all my tasks although I have structured it.

They don’t see the section tasks? Do they see all the other tasks except the sections? :thinking:

Exactly! Thank you :slight_smile:

That is sooo weird… @Alexis is it something known?

I use a similar structure.

• Today
  • This Week (What not marked today and needs to be completed this week)
  • This Month (Sunday evening I move tasks to either Today, meaning Monday or to This Week)
  • Next Month
  • Someday

@Bastien_Siebman and @Gustav_Liden I use this structure as well, and there is a way to have your sections visible for teammates. If you click on the section, on the right, you will see that the section is private and an option to “Make Public” (screenshot below).

If you click the “Make public” option, all teammates will be able to see your sections. You can also do this with one-off tasks you create in your My Tasks list outside a project.

I would recommend creating these sections in your “Today” and “Upcoming” priority section rather than in the “New Tasks” area.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

So sections are private by default? Thanks @Kaitie!

Happy to help :smile: Sections created in your “My Tasks” are private by default, similar to tasks created in your “My Tasks”. Sections (and tasks) created in projects will have the same access setting as the rest of the project.

1 Like

Oh yes you are right that makes perfect sense

1 Like

You are right, many thanks!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m back Alexis!! I’m very interested in your setup! I think the My Task list has been my biggest frustration every time I’ve left Asana to find something different. In a lot of ways it’s great but in others it can become very overwhelming if you don’t manage it right. Your concept of planning the whole week is very interesting to me. The only question I still have though, is how do you manage projects on the My Task list? Because I just discovered today that a lot of times My Task list is filled with projects rather than actionable items. So I’m trying to figure out how to have more actionable items on my list while staying on top of the higher level projects that I’m working on. Do you understand what I’m saying? I’d also like to know if your weekly planning under Today is still working for you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Hasani! Great to hear from you! So happy to welcome you back to the Asana Community. To answer your question, yes my My Tasks setup is still working for me. 100%. I’m not sure what you mean by:

But, if I assume correctly that these tasks represent high level responsibilities, then you can do what I do and move those high level tasks to Upcoming and/or Later. I use Later for storing reference tasks that don’t have actionable due dates. And upcoming is for things that I know I’ll have to get to but aren’t within the next week.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. :slight_smile:

Yes I understand. I’ll see what I can pull from your setup to make it work for me. :slight_smile: Thank you Alexis!

1 Like

I use Today for my daily priorities, which should hopefully be like 3-5 items.

Then I separate “Upcoming” into

• This Week:
  • This Month:
  • and “Low Priority/No Deadline” for active tasks that I want to keep on my radar but don’t have a due date. I try to give everything a due date so this is typically a small section.

I keep “New Tasks” empty, empty, empty!

I use “Later:” for inactive tasks I don’t want to see, On Hold tasks, or tasks whose due date is more than a month away. I worked at a place with Zombie Tasks would be on hold for months before rising from the dead and this was a huge benefit over pen and paper tracking.

I love your three sections in Upcoming! I just created them :wink:

1 Like

Great thread here everyone! I’m also super excited to have all of my tasks from the actual projects feed into my to do list, what a game changer! Does anyone have any tips on organizing the to-dos in the order you want to finish?

Example: I have them in a “Today’s To Do’s” format but want to move the order around in the order I want to complete them. Played around in “My Tasks” and “Advanced Search” and haven’t quite gotten it yet. Thanks!

I am using Today-Upcoming-Later, have a bunch of sections in Upcoming. I also started something new: I created a “September” and “October” projects, in which I put the tasks that I should complete during the month. When I have time, I review the current month. And then move everything to the next month if it is not done.
But I do change my organization often, did not find anything perfect. I also had a bucket system in place (Asana — My Bucket System for personal tasks management | by Bastien Siebman | Asana / minimalist work | Medium) but that did not work out very well…

I set up the My Tasks per GTD, see below how (comments are welcome)

TODAY: “Actionable Now Tasks.”

1. Tasks with a (Real) due date will be dated for today,
  2. Non-dated tasks that must be done ASAP (never put a date on a task that you want to finish it today but it’s not truly due today).

UPCOMING: all “Non-Actionable Now Tasks.”

1. Dated for after today: (will automatically come into today before date)
  2. Waiting on other tasks: can’t work on before another task is done first
  3. Small Project Tasks: (parent task that has multiple sub-task actions)
  • I have a task reminder weekly to review if any of the “Non-Dated Tasks” in upcoming is ready to move on, if yes I will move it to today.

LATER: all tasks that have “NO Next Action.”

• I have a task reminder bi-weekly to review if I want to start moving on this, if yes will figure the next action and move to Today/Upcoming.

(I have more filters for different lists/contexts, but this is how I set up “my tasks”)

3 Likes

Hi :slight_smile:,

It would be great to be able to sort the tasks in the My Tasks overview in the following four categories:

1. Today
  2. This week
  3. This month
  4. Later

This would - imo - give a much better overview than the existing today, upcoming and later. Upcoming can mean anything from tomorrow till the next couple of weeks which makes it difficult to plan and get an overview of the actual workload from week to week.

/Krista

I would recommend the following work around that allows you to define and alter the categories in My Tasks as you need to.

You can create Sections in My Tasks to further organize the Tasks under Today, Upcoming, and Later.

In your case, under Upcoming, you could create Sections for This Week and This Month.

3 Likes