How do you find local companies who use Asana?

Unless I get desperate enough, I refuse to pursue job opportunities with companies who are not on board with Asana or similar tools.
Will the use of tools like Asana ever be publicly promoted by organizations as a way to attract potential hires? Have you ever found yourself thinking about this while looking through job postings and work opportunities?

2 Likes

That’s a really great question! I think it’s a good idea for companies to let people know what kinds of tools they use (I couldn’t work somewhere that’s using outdated tools). What kind of work do you do?

Well, I guess you really don’t know who your are going to run into. So today, I went the the Lions-Jaguars football game in Detroit. I struck up a conversation with the man setting next to me and he told be he was the I.T. Manager at a local company in downtown Detroit. I asked him if they used any collaborative software and to my surprise he said Asana. I told him about my project and he was very interested in being a beta tester. You just never know who your are going to run into.

1 Like

@JCarl what’s your project?

@paulminors Send To Asana which will now be called Sendana, which is a Microsoft Add-in to link Outlook for PC to Asana. Second beta will be released this week and getting great feedback on use. Most beta users are using daily. See section on Outlook for Asana. Expect it to be an available integration very soon.

1 Like

@paulminors I work in digital marketing and web analytics. I use Asana to coordinate tasks and share information with internal managers, engineers, designers, writers. Currently most of my focus in is Google Tag Manager, Analytics, Adwords.

@JCarl good point, you never know who you’ll run into. My best lead generation source for potential contracts is face-to-face meetings in informal situations. The success rate is low but I’ve found, for now, it’s better than sinking time into internet research.

Do any of you see evidence of these tools gaining a foothold in the general employee conciseness? Any trending buzzwords? Any schools incorporating these tools into their programs?

@Adam_Brougher I see “apps” in general becoming more and more common as companies realise they need to use tools like Asana (as well as other task managers), Slack, Google Docs etc. to be more efficient.

I think in the Bay Area / Silicon Valley we see more of these SaaS products gaining traction. I graduated from college in the Bay Area in 2012 and by that point I was already using Google docs for much of my work. I have heard of schools using messaging systems, too.

The employee consciousness question is an interesting one. I think about this a lot working for Asana because I’ve encountered many people who know about and use our product, yet I always makes sure to say “I work at a tech company called Asana” for the handful of people who think I’m saying I work at “a sauna.” For the handful of people I meet who don’t know Asana, I’d say that the majority still have apps/SaaS platforms/productivity software top of mind. Especially here in the Bay Area. I see the biggest divide generationally, actually, both in terms of employee age and company age.

I’d bet that if you’re working at a tech company in the Bay Area you’re certainly going to be using at least one productivity oriented “app,” whether it’s for chat, collaboration, note taking, or the like. If you’re in digital marketing and web analytics, you’ll get that pretty much anywhere in tech. For non tech companies in the Bay Area, like a traditional marketing firm, the inevitability is less likely, but it’s hard to avoid exposure to these kinds of things around the Bay Area. It seems every corner I turn and every time I’m driving south on the 101 I see a new poster for a tech company.

@Adam_Brougher you’ve probably already done this, but just in case you haven’t - you might do a creative search on Glassdoor for information about companies that use the software you like. Or go the old fashioned way and look at the websites of your favorite products for customers that use them. Why not start with Asana? :wink:

@alexis be careful on that “employee age” as I am probably the oldest person on this Community. But then again when my wife and I got married and borrowed $300 to do so, our first purchase was a computer. (not furniture). Seriously their are a lot of old dogs that you can’t teach new tricks. It is really bad when a person gives up their passion to learn and be more effective.

Oh neat! Just making an observation from my personal experience, but that certainly does not mean what I have observed is the norm. Many of my mentors about the online world (and even online communities) have wisdom far beyond my years, in fact. That’s what I love about community forums like this! It is so interesting to be able to gather with people from all different backgrounds and from all around the world to talk about ideas. I am reminded to savor this gratitude in the spirit of Thanksgiving! :smiley:

1 Like