How do I set up a project with different views for externals

Hi there,

I am currently working on a software development project with my client.

We currently face a communication problem with our client: They don’t know what we are working on and we don’t get the commitment we need from them.

As such we want to set up an Asana project with strict deadlines and more transparency about the process.

The problem here is that we of course don’t want the client to see all of our tickets. Do you know of any good way how we can handle this? Is there any option how we can only make certain tickets visible to them?

Best regards from Berlin,
Dan

Hi :wave:

You have three solutions I believe:

1. you can multi home some tasks into a dedicated project client and remove them as member of your main project
  2. you can create for them an advanced search report to only show some tasks (with a tag on them for example), but they would still see the whole main project
  3. you can invite them as collaborators of only some tasks and don’t add them as members of your main project

Would that work?

2 Likes

Hi @Bastien_Siebman,

thank you for your quick reply.

I am going with your 1st option, which works perfectly! Thank you for that hint!

Is there also a way how I can restrict certain team members from deleting tickets?

Best,
Dan

1 Like

Cool!
You can choose the “Comment only” permission at the project level for certain members. Project permissions | Product guide • Asana Product Guide

This is a Premium feature.

2 Likes

Hey,

I just found this thread while I was looking for a solution for my problem.
I have a project board which is visible for my team and my client.
Which options do I have when the client shall see all tasks but within the tasks not every custom field?
Which options do I have when the client shall see the project board including timeline etc. but not every single task?

I don’t fully understand “you can create for them an advanced search report to only show some tasks (with a tag on them for example), but they would still see the whole main project”?

Best regards
Sandra

Not possible, at the moment if you see the task you see all its custom fields, even if they are part of a project you don’t have the rights to see. (unless it was fixed recently)

Same thing, you can’t in Asana, you would have to create an external dashboard.

If you are on Premium or higher, you have access to advanced search. And a search can be saved as a report.

Does it help?

Hey Bastien, it helps, thank you :slight_smile: