Grant Management

We’ve been using Asana for a while for tasks, but would love to move our full grant management there (right now it’s a mix of excel, asana, and our donor database). Can anyone share what that looks like for you? Is each grant it’s own project and if so, how do you get a big picture view? Or do you keep all grants in one project and if so, how are you moving it along?
Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @Jehan_Seirafi! I am not on my org’s development team, but I am happy to share what I know about how they are using Asana for grants management. For us all grants are contained in the same project(s) depending on the status (basically if the funding is secured or not). Tasks are created for each grant opportunity, then assigned to the relevant team member and managed from there. The team makes use of custom fields and subtasks to manage the grant process.

They use 3 main projects to manage proposals, ongoing cultivation of potential new donors, and existing funder relationships. Here’s what it looks like:

1. Proposals - this project is organized into sections for proposals under consideration, working proposals, and submitted proposals with additional custom fields to track the program the funding is for, the amount, and any notes.

2. Cultivation – for funding opportunities that the team is exploring and have not yet been identified as an opportunity to submit a proposal for.

3. Stewardship – for tracking relationships with current funders. Here all of the grant details are stored, including the award size, end date, renewal status, program, etc.

I hope this helps! I’m curious to see how others are managing fundraising in Asana as well.

3 Likes

@Mia_Velasco, this setup is a dream!
And nearly aligns with the vision I had when creating the grant tracking template that’s available in Asana, so seeing this made my day! I might add a few of the following recommendations based on the current setup you have.

• For your Cultivation project, I recommending that you leverage our forms feature, and add a form to this project. This would allow you to decentralize the grant opportunity sourcing process. Whenever someone who is a supporter or employee that comes across a grant opportunity can easily submit it for your team to consider pursuing.

• For the Stewardship project, I would add start & end dates to each current funder task, so that you can easily spot see any upcoming gaps in funding when viewing this project in timeline view. We cant see any subtasks right now, but if there is a grant-reapplication window that begins before your current funding period comes to an end, then add that info as a subtask that’s assigned to the grant “owner”.

• If your nonprofit has a business account, create a single portfolio with all these trackig projects as well as individual grants currently in process. If you’re using the grant tracking template in Asana ,then each grant opportunity you are pursuing can be converted into a project, and the start & due dates, dependencies, custom fields (etc) can appear in timeline view and have status updates on their progress appear in this portfolio!

Just my two cents from the outside looking in, but I’d love to hear what else the community here has cooked up as well! Thanks for sharing @Mia_Velasco, this is fantastic! :raised_hands:

1 Like

This is so great @Mia_Velasco. Thank you so much for sharing.
One follow-up question: how does the team track total annual grant revenue goals against grants awarded? I see the fields for proposed award amount, but do you just pull those amounts and track the totals elsewhere (in a spreadsheet)? I’d love to figure out how we move completely away from our grant tracking spreadsheet, but right now it totals up amounts for grants in progress, submitted, and awarded so we have a birdseye view of how we’re tracking.

1 Like

hey @Jehan_Seirafi I checked with our dev team and they still use a spreadsheet and Salesforce, in addition to Asana, to track total grant revenue against grants awarded. It seems like you could use additional number custom fields to calculate totals for grants in progress, submitted, and awarded. If you create a section for each of these stages, then Asana will automatically calculate a subtotal for each section.

1 Like