📅 Google Calendar sync: The two methods (2024 Guide)

Hi all :wave:

If you use both Asana and Google Calendar, synchronizing them can help streamline your workflow. Below, I’ve outlined two main methods available in 2024.

Method 1: The native task synchronization feature

Quick Description: This method offers a straightforward way to sync all tasks from a project or your My Tasks list to Google Calendar. It’s easy to set up, but with limited flexibility.

:white_check_mark: Pros

• Simple to set up
  • Native to Asana

:orange_square: Cons

• Doesn’t allow placing events at specific times in the calendar (tasks are just marked for the day)
  • Can’t link tasks to existing events
  • One-way sync: Updates only flow from Asana to Google Calendar

2 options available

Option 1: Sync all the tasks in an Asana project

1. Navigate to the project and click on the drop-down menu next to the project name.

2. Click on Export/Print and select Google Calendar

3. In the pop-up window, copy the URL.

4. Go to Google Calendar, and in the sidebar, click on Other calendars.

5. Select From URL.

6. Paste the URL of the project.

Option 2: Sync all your ‘My tasks’

1. From your My Tasks, click on the Actions drop-down menu.

2. Select Sync with calendar.

3. In the pop-up window, copy the URL.

4. Go to Google Calendar, and in the sidebar, click on Other calendars.

5. Select From URL.

6. Paste the URL.

More info/references:

Method 2: Google calendar integration

Quick Description: This method offers more control by allowing you to set specific times and manage events tied to tasks, but it requires adding an integration and setting up rules (or manually linking each task to an event)

:white_check_mark: Pros

• Events on specific time in the calendar
  • Associate a task to an existing event

:orange_square: Cons

• Requires adding the integration to the project (or to My Tasks) & eventually creating a rule (though it’s fairly easy)
  • One-way sync: Updates only flow from Asana to Google Calendar

Two Setup Options:

Option 1: Via Asana Rules:
Teams can create rules to automatically schedule meetings in Google Calendar when a certain event is triggered. For instance, a task moved to ‘Scheduled’ can trigger an event on the calendar, inviting all task collaborators.

Option 2: Manually Adding Events via the task Widget:
Attach events directly to tasks, showing details like event time and organizer. For example, associate an existing meeting with a task to inform your team about the scheduled event.

Option: Data Sync Mapping

This useful option allows teams to align event details with task details.

More info/references:

Hope that was useful - feel free to share your feedback and ideas :wave:

Arthur from iDO

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing @Arthur_BEGOU :heart:

1 Like

Great resource, thanks @Arthur_BEGOU !

1 Like

thank you @Arthur_BEGOU very clear and helpful.

1 Like

Hi there!
I’m Eugenio, and I am really confused about the integration between Calendar and Asana. According to this guide, I understand I have two ways to sync the two apps:

1. The first is the native method. This should be automatic, but a little bit slower than the second. Also, I can’t sync the time of the task, which is not good.
  2. The second is the Google Calendar integration. I have a question about this second one: will it work only when I add a rule? Or can it be automatic as well? Second question: why, in rules, can I choose which calendar I want to add the event to, but if I go to Custom → Apps → Google Calendar → Sync settings, I can’t pick which calendar I want?

Also, it seems to me that with method 1, I am able to set a recurring task in Asana and see it, after some time, in Google Calendar (right?), but without the time of the task. With method 2, a recurring task doesn’t load on the Calendar, but if I move it manually, it actually keeps the time.

Since I really need the time, I tried this workaround.
I created a custom field (recurring tasks) with multiple choices: 1-week, 1-month, 10 days.
Then I set a rule that does this: when the recurring task field is modified → check how it was modified → if it’s 1 week, then mark the task as incomplete and move it by 7 days. I did the same with the other types of tasks. This seems to work.

Anyway, I just went down this rabbit hole and I’d really appreciate some help!
Thanks to anyone reading,
Eugenio

1 Like

Hi @Eugenio_Baroncelli :wave:

I moved your post into this thread, since you are referring to it.
Perhaps @Arthur_BEGOU can help you out with your issue…?

1 Like

Hi Eugenio,

Thanks for reaching out! Let me clarify your points, but I’m not sure if we can go further down that rabbit hole (:grin:) as you understood it right and came to the right conclusions & workarounds.

Unfortunately, there isn’t a fully automatic way to sync tasks without setting up rules or manually linking tasks to events.

Indeed, I think this difference comes down to functionality design.

You are correct :+1:

Your custom field and rule system should work well, and that’s a smart workaround. :+1:

As an alternative, and if that makes sense for you, you could consider creating your recurring tasks in advance via a little tool we have created at iDO - check our iDO tools on this page and select “Recurring Tasks” - There is a freemium version you can test.

Best,

Arthur

thank you @Arthur_BEGOU!

1 Like