Formula or Rules for Bills

I am trying to set up a project for bills. I need to be able to filter it by week. What would be the best way to set this up? My thoughts were just using a recurring task. Or could is use a formula? When I just tested the recurring task it created a new task with the due date for the next month. We have hundreds of bills, so I trying to avoid it becoming so overwhelming. I know we can filter it to hide incomplete tasks. Any thoughts?

Hello @tori7,

here is a great post with some suggestions:

You can then also use the filters, on top of the project views, to organise your tasks even better. And you can create specific extra views with filters saved so you can switch views quickly.

And rules are very helpful to automate various steps.

Is there something additional you are trying to achieve?

1 Like

Thank you! I am trying to easily see what bills are due by week using filters. I didn’t realize that when you have a recurring task and mark it as complete it makes a new task instead of replacing it. I need some way that once it is marked as completed it would push the due date back by a month. I would love to use rules, but I know I am overthinking it.

I am afraid with recurring tasks it will get very bogged down, and I was hoping I could get a subtotal of the amounts of payments due in a week once its filtered and sorted?

Then you could add a custom field for example where you have options for the timeframe on when the task should restart or have sections as trigger.

Then when a task with a special 2nd condition is marked complete a rule would run, reopen the task and amend the date custom field https://help.asana.com/hc/en-us/articles/23060211893787-Rule-actions#01HQTZT628E0PP4XZ1ZWSQD5KG

Now regarding the subtotal:

If you have rules that move tasks based on date then you can see the sum in list view per section.

You can also set up charts / graphs.

Now if you want to do more calculations you can use formula fields.

1 Like