Feature Request: Comment templates

Proposal to create comment templates. These would be templates that could be invoked within a given task in the comments area (Ask a question or post an update…).

Use case: For our daily standups we each share updates in the same format:

• What’s been accomplished?
  • Any blockers?
  • Next steps

A comment template would make the process of updating tasks with these details much easier (currently we copy these questions from a “[Read Me] Sharing updates” task in the “Resources” section of the project).

2 Likes

As a workaround we store the template in the task description and copy-paste it.

That would work well except, in this case, the sprint cards (read: tasks) are created elsewhere and multi-homed into the “sprint planning” project. They would each have a unique task description based on how the task was added to it’s own project (in most cases this would be via a form, which would populate the description).

1 Like

For often repeated text I’d use AutoHotkey as a workaround.

1 Like

Seconding this idea. We created standardized text for different stages of communication with our clients. It would be great to have comment templates that could house these – our current workaround is a task that houses the text in the description, and our designers end up doing a copy/paste from there into the comment thread.

1 Like

Can’t you easily automate this with rules?

When status_field is set to value_y :arrow_right: add comment

Use the Now introducing Variables in Rules functionality to dynamically name either:

• task creator
  • assignee
  • rule triggerer

Also, the bundles feature might become relevant for this.

Yup, this is a good workaround @Jan-Rienk. Good callout. Still, I think there’s an opportunity for Asana to integrate something akin to Jira’s canned response feature. This would allow us to set up global, team, or project-level snippets/canned responses that we can use for frequently repeated text.

2 Likes