Empty tasks are now automatically removed

Oh no, please, don’t tell me you now auto-delete an empty task? :frowning:

Unable to create a section in tasks when adding a colon
Is there a way to hide empty tasks from reports?
Let me add empty lines!
Can no longer create empty lines in task list (which were useful for grouping of tasks)
Empty Task Rows are collapsed
Can't format task list with extra spaces anymore
My main Asana Account Is Suddenly Eating all my Empty Tasks
Why is Asana Suddenly Eating all my Empty Tasks? (repeat - correctly formatted)

Hi @Bastien_Siebman,

We are! Many users have reported that they create tasks by accident, making their Asana “messy”; so we’re implementing an auto-delete feature for empty tasks.

As it stands, we only rolled it out to 25% of our users. If it all goes well, it should be rolled out to 100% users by the end of the week.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions :slight_smile:

Empty Task Rows are collapsed

This was helping me have a clean Asana by creating some “blank space” in my lists :frowning: anyway, ok, good for the others ^^

I like that. Lots of my clients are used to press “Enter” when adding a task, creating a blank one. @Bastien_Siebman, it’s not the same, but maybe you could create “cleaning tasks” with . or -

Maybe if you press space and let a blank character can work as well.

Hi @Marie - just following up on this - when do you think this feature will be rolled out to all users because we don’t have it yet.

And @Bastien_Siebman I understand where you’re coming from - I tend not to like “auto” anything and always prefer to have the choice (and the way you were using empty tasks shows why!)

@KarenV, @Millor_Machado, @Bastien_Siebman, I can confirm that a task with just a single space did not get removed by the new auto-delete-empty-tasks feature.

That was a few days ago when the new feature was deleting empty tasks for me; I just tried now and maybe they turned that off for a bit because no cleanup is happening at all now. But again, when empty tasks where cleaned up, single-blank-character tasks were not affected, which is nice.

I kinda use “—” now, which is ok.

Click creates empty task

Hi - I don’t know if it’s us, or if this happens to everyone, but we always have lots “empty” tasks that were created by mistake by pressing enter. Is there a way to hide these from reports because they clutter them up.

And also, is there a way to run a report to find all these empty tasks so they can be quickly deleted?

Thanks!

This is on the way! See:

Thanks @lpb! So glad to see that.

Thanks for jumping in @lpb; merging this one with Auto-remove empty tasks? to avoid duplicates!

Thanks guys, really appreciate this feature - looking forward to it rolling out to me.

Oh man. I didn’t guess that this was a ‘feature’. Please please please make this something I can toggle off.

My projects structures spacing indicates grouping of lists beyond all
the other ways to group lists. I have hundreds of blank tasks throughout my projects that communicate important context to the tasks in those projects.

Beyond that, if ‘messy’ projects are the problem I’m sure a lot of users will agree that some projects are REAL eyesore without spaces -

I’ve wished for years that you’d do essentially the opposite and build in letting me make spaces that aren’t tasks (do nothing when i click on them, have no completion button).

TL;DR: Please allow me to shut this feature off. Please! :slight_smile:

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:

Steps to reproduce: When I hit enter to create a new task, if I add no text to the task, it disappears when i navigate away from it. I use empty tasks as spacers, so worse still, whenever I click on an empty task I created before this problem it too disappears when I navigate away.

Why is Asana suddenly eating all my spacer-tasks?

Browser version: This problem happens in all my browsers, on all my computers, for only this particular Asana User - the other users in the workspace report nothing of the kind.

Upload screenshots below: I’m sure you get the picture without a video here.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I believe that Asana is the in the process of rolling out an auto-remove feature that will clean up empty tasks. Here is a link with some more information: Auto-remove empty tasks?. This feature might have been rolled out to your account.

I hope that helps,
Katie

Hi @SDMedia_I and thanks for jumping in @Katie_Reynolds!

I’ve gone ahead and merged this post with the main thread to avoid creating duplicates in the Forum. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with!

Recently, Iv’e noticed that i can no longer create a section within my tasks. I’m hoping it’s a bug. Ive read a post about there being some other issues with the site, hopefully this will be resolved when those bugs are fixed?

Browser: Safari - Version 12.0.2 (14606.3.4)

Any info on this bug would be greatly appreciated.

27%20PM

I just read that pressing Tab - N creates a section.

Mike,

You are correct :slight_smile: The new shortcut to create sections is Tab + N. Here is the full description of how sections are changing in Asana: Sections are dead! Long live sections!.

Katie

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing: When I hit enter to create a new task, if I do not add text to the task it disappears when i navigate away from it (I use empty tasks as spacers). Whenever I click on an empty task (that I created before this problem) it too disappears when I navigate away.

Steps to reproduce: I think I may have accidentally punched in a hotkey? What setting did I toggle on??

Browser version: This problem happens in all my browsers, on all my computers, for only this particular Asana User - the other users in the workspace report nothing of the kind.

Upload screenshots below: