Does Asana allow an Organization to have Different Tiers and How do they Integrate

Hi @lpb thank you so much for taking the time to reread the entire thread and understanding where the misunderstanding occurred and providing a clear explanation and solution to my quandary. I really appreciate it and cannot thank you enough for your helpfulness (it is not the first time that you have helped me out!). :smiley: :pray:

So, if we can go for Premium and if Asana can possibly help us out with regards to Techsoup, then these would be my following steps:

1. Take out all of our organization team members except for 2 members. Currently we are 19 on Asana Basic. Everyone was excited to try out Asana so I had invited them all into the organization.
  2. Once outside make sure the 17 team members create new Asana accounts that are non-org domain. This could possibly be personal gmail accounts and/or a secondary non-org domain that we have.
  3. With the 2 members remaining in our orgā€™s Asana, upgrade the org to Premium.
  4. Then re-invite, as Guests, the 17 team members using their gmails or the secondary non-org domain emails.

Larry, I hope that I have it right this time? :tada:

Thank you also to @Rashad_Issa , @Heather_Slania and @Phil_Seeman for your friendliness and helpfulness throughout this thread & a happy weekend to all. :+1:

4 Likes

Thanks for the nice post, @EmmanuelY.

I think youā€™re very much on the right track, but Iā€™m very much hoping @Emily_Roman could review your steps and provide a much more trusted answer if these are the exact steps for you to follow since so many people are involved and I want to make sure you have the best info.

Iā€™ve also sent you a private message here on following up another aspect.

Larry

1 Like

Hi @lpb thank you for your helpful reply.

I look forward to confirmation then from @Emily_Roman and @Michael_A to make sure that we are doing things correctly. :pray:

Thank you also for the private message. :+1:

Thanks for asking, @lpb!

Hi @EmmanuelY, Iā€™ve had a look to the comments and I think the steps you shared in your last comment are the right ones and the more straightforward for what you are trying to achieve.

One thing I want to note is that if the Members you will remove from the Organization and re-invite them as Guests have any tasks assigned, I recommend you creating one project for each user to save their previous tasks so you can easily assign the task back to the Guest account by adding them to the project. This is just a tip to make sure they donā€™t lose information.

I also encourage you to contact our support team if you have any questions or issue through the process: How to contact our Support Team āœ‰.

I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi @Emily_Roman thank you for your reply and confirmation. Okay then, I shall proceed to take everyone out of the organization and enroll them all into a second organization.

From there, after upgrading (still awaiting and hoping for good news regarding freedom from TechSoup), I will invite everyone back into the primary organization as guests. :pray:

Thank you also for your tips and warnings regarding tasks assigned, I appreciate it! :smiley:

2 Likes

Hello @Emily_Roman we have prepared all the guest user accounts in Google Workspace ( G Suite). We have also prepared a secondary Asana organization. Next week I will remove all the users in our primary domain organization except for 2 users and then re-invite everyone in as Guests.

I just have a quick question regarding Tasks where users using the original primary domain were PICs or Assignees. What happens when I remove them from the organization? Does the Assignee category in completed tasks and upcoming tasks become blank?

I am thinking to manually change Assignees to the equivalent Guest user before kicking the original Assignee from the primary domain out of the organization. Thank you for your helpā€¦

Iā€™ll let @Emily_Roman reply with the best answer but I think the above is a good plan.

See also https://asana.com/guide/help/premium/admin-console#gl-deactivating and search the Forum for deprovision for more.

Larry

1 Like

Hi @lpb thank you for your reply and the helpful link to Admin Console and Deprovisioning. I noted the following in the link:

After you have deprovisioned someone from your Organization, a private project containing their previously assigned tasks will be auto generated.

If I donā€™t want the tasks which were nicely organized in various Projects and Sections to move en masse to a new private project, then - before - deprovisioning I would want to re-assign the tasks of user-1@primary-domain.org to their user-1@secondary-domain.org account? Thank you for confirming. :pray:

2 Likes

Yes, @EmmanuelY, exactly!

Larry

1 Like

Great! Thanks @lpb for your help! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi @EmmanuelY, I completely agree with @lpb! Good plan.

• In free Organizations and Workspaces: Tasks that were public or were associated with a shared Project will remain accessible but may become unassigned.

• In a Premium Organization: A Private Project will be created for the Administrator containing both public and private tasks previously assigned to the former employee.

Comments the former employee made on Tasks will still be visible on both tiers but their profile photo will be gone and their name will not be clickable.

This is the great idea and it will make the process more organized!

2 Likes

Hi @Emily_Roman ,

Great! Thank you so much for clarifying and confirming things for me. I appreciate it! :pray:

1 Like

Hi,
To avoid warnings by Asana for basic users that use org domain, can I change their email addresses without kicking them out? @Emily_Roman @lpb

Welcome, @Muhammad1,

If what youā€™re saying is you have user1@myorg.org and you donā€™t want to pay for them but let them have access as a Guest instead of as a Member, then I think they could edit their Asana settings to add their non-org-domain email address, like user1@gmail.com.

Then change all Asana task, project, etc. references (assignees, collaborators, owners, rules created, etc.) from the old user1@myorg.org email to user1@gmail.com.

Then deprovision the old email address; see also:

I might have something wrong/missing here. Maybe another @ambforumleader or @pforumleader could correct or improve upon my answer here?

Thanks,

Larry

Thank you for your response, the completed tasks in public projects will be affected by the deprovision?

Yes, I believe so.

Hi Emily,

Has the guest policy changed since your reply 2 years ago? I found this sneaky little mention in the FAQ and it makes it seem that the guest workaround proposed in this thread is, as of today, not quite allowed.

Sorry for reopening this old topic, but a clarification on whether the workaround is still allowed or not would be useful.

Working with guests in an organization ā€¢ Asana Product Guide

1 Like

Hi @Wrench_Dodger, yes, this workaround is against our subscriber terms - for security reasons and because it limits the value that employees would be getting out of this platform.

I recommend reaching out to your organizationā€™s account manager on the best path moving forward or reaching out to the Support team by clicking on the chat bubble on the bottom left of this page: Asana Support - Help Center ā€¢ Asana.

1 Like