Desktop Asana app

5 Likes

+1

1 Like

+1

1 Like

+1

1 Like

Yes, Word! With the new SDK for macOS there’s no more excuses not to do a mac app! C’mon Asana!

1 Like

It is true Project Catalyst should enable the iPad app to run on the Mac BUT that means they need to make sure the iPad app can do everything that the web app can; dependencies, create projects from templates, show today’s completed items in the task list, etc
 The iPad app IS getting better but it still has a way to go compared to the web app.

3 Likes

Project Catalyst is the solution for having the iOS App into macOS, without effort.

I personally love working with the simplicity version of iOS for a daily basis. If I want to organize or personalize deep options, then I use the desktop web version.

I hope Asana makes it available!

3 Likes

I 100% agree with this. Catalyst is really where asana could have its answer for macOS. The key however is that you have to be running the latest version of macOS AND asana will need to beef up the iPad app. It would be good to be a launch parter with Apple on this and get the app available when Catalina is released this fall.

2 Likes

It sounds like the reason that a lot of people want a native app is to have Asana open all the time, and not lost in one of a BILLION tabs.

I had that pain too!

So certainly I’m not aiming to solve every aspect of asana natively, but this solves the day-to-day pain of wanting a constantly-open personal dashboard, see TOO MANY TASKS :white_check_mark:

2 Likes

I downloaded Firefox and then changed the name of the app to Asana and icon to the Asana logo and made my Asana tasks my homepage. It functions as an Asana app all itself.

1 Like

I am using Flotato https://flotato.com/, which is Electron, but super simple to install and produces a native looking application (i.e. without the toolbar at the top). Also free!

1 Like

Will these options, like flotato, allow you to use Asana offline and then resync when you’re back online?

No, they won’t. That would require special programming beyond just making a visual wrapper for the Asana interface as Flotato and other similar solutions do.

Project catalyst may or may not be the answer. It depends on how Asana implements it. If you look at the iPad app now it still has to refresh the data displayed in whatever view you are going to. So you might have a native experience but you won’t have snappy performance and you won’t have an offline experience or at least not much of one. I am hopeful that Catalyst will enable Asana to really invest in the iPad app and make it all it can be, since now it will run on two platforms. The iPad app has gotten a lot better over the years, maybe Catalyst will be the motivation need to really make it shine.

2 Likes

Hello guys, just arrived here, probably like everyone. I went through the entire post ( and after a long time searching on Google) and I am still kinda confused to understand why the
Asana Desktop version (Win or OSX) is not available or even under development.

Several options and platforms, some mentioned here , updates and contribution from the community are making
this really easier than before.

So my understanding is correct? Asana’s company developer company do not have in his plans the Desktop version?

Wow, I only can read this in one way
 yes, the wrong way.

That’s correct, @Steve_Gulloni, Asana has previously stated they have no plans to develop / support a desktop version of the app. I’m not sure about offline support, but I’d imagine that requires more effort than creating a Mac / Windows version of the app

Like a lot of folks, I use a program to generate a web version of Asana as a standalone “app” (Web Catalog for Mac). It’s not perfect (would really like badge icons), but it does allow for desktop alerts that look better than the Chrome browser-based notifications. Would love true Mac OS integration where I could reply in-line to comments or easily adjust due dates / mark tasks complete from the notification window.

2 Likes

The program people above suggested, and the one I did in my response, are basically just web-to-app tools that convert a website (any website) into a standalone “app”.

1 Like

yeah, got it, and will try that out later tonite. Thanks man.

Hi @Steve_Gulloni

I don’t understand either why they don’t have a Mac version in the works at least. Hopefully Appel’s Project Catalyst will solve the offline problem.

One workaround I found was via Chrome. Log in to your account and click the three dots all the way to the right in Chrome. (Right next to where you sign in to Chrome). Then pick “More Tools” and then “Create Shortcut”. Put checkmark in “Open as Window”. This give Asana its own ikon and functions as a Chrome Webapp.

This is the best solution and nice to use if you use Command + Tab to switch through programs. And you can keep the app in the dock of your Mac.

24 Likes

This is brilliant, thank you !