Custom fields not populating with variables from Zapier Zap

Trying to use zapier to create a task and map the information over to custom fields we’ve created in Asana. The task is getting added, but none of the custom fields are populating on Asana’s side.

Any help would can provide would be great!

1 Like

Hi @anon56504296,

Please post screenshot(s) of the exact configuration of the Asana portion of your Zap.

1 Like

Are you sure what you are writing in them matches their type. For example not writing text within a number field?

1 Like

Hey @Bastien_Siebman, I was able to figure it out. I had to use the “Formatter” addition within Zapier to map the text fields to the Asana number values associated with the text.

2 Likes

1 Like

What did you have to do in the formatted to get it to work?

1 Like

I have the same question. What did you do in the Formatter to make them play nice?

The formatter is probably about changing the text, it has according to me nothing to do with the ability to read the custom fields.

I found a way to do this through the Webhook action as described here: https://community.zapier.com/featured-articles-65/how-to-update-custom-fields-on-an-asana-task-9381

It looks intimidating, but the instructions are excellent. If you’ve never written any JSON or JS, just pay really close attention to syntax on things like commas.

Also, these instructions were lacking details on how to update custom field formats like dates (and so was the Asana developer docs), but I also found this Asana forum post with instructions:

5 Likes

Hi there… hoping someone can help. I’m having a similar issue with a date not coming over to my custom date field in Asana. I’m using the date formatted by Zapier, and have tried numerous options but nothing seems to send over.
Can anyone confirm the date format Asana needs?

I am also running into a similar issue.

I have Zapier:

• Pull in an email
  • Parse content from the email
  • Create a new task in a specific project in Asana
  • Add content to specific custom fields from the parsed email
  • Add additional content to the description field of the taste in Asana

Zapier creates the task in Asana, and it adds content to the description field. However, it doesn’t add any of the content to the custom fields.

Any thoughts?

cc Asana Forum Champs (@Bastien_Siebman & @Phil_Seeman )

I had no idea this action now allows fields to be populated! @paulminors you know Zapier well, any advice?

I didn’t realize that, either - must be relatively new, I think.

Zapier has supported this for a while. From what I can see, you’ve mapped the data to your fields correctly so I’m not sure why it’s not working in your test. Make sure when you do a live test, check the history to see if the email was parsed correctly. If it is, you may need to contact Zapier support directly to see what’s going on.