Creating tasks via email gives error "We couldn't process your email." for most users

I’ve been a frequent user of email-to-asana for task creation at work, and it has been working fine for me. The name of my company, for the sake of this example, is Myrealcompany. I tried to train other users and they all receive this error:

"From: Asana no-reply@asana.com
"Sent: Thursday, March 8, 2018 2:09 PM
"To: Person person@myrealcompany.com
"Subject: We couldn’t process your email.

“I couldn’t create your task because you are not in the same workspace as the project you are trying to add it to.”

Keep in mind that all these people are creating and editing tasks (directly in Asana, not via email) in the single instance of Asana that Myrealcompany operates. They all have myrealcompany.com email addresses, as do I. They are presumably all part of the Myrealcompany Organization.

According to Turning emails into Asana tasks | Product guide • Asana Product Guide, “To create tasks in your My Tasks list via email, send an email to x@mail.asana.com. By default, x@mail.asana.com will create a task in the Workspace or Organization associated with your email address.”

My profile settings show “You’re part of 1 Organization and 0 Workspaces.” OK, this is a hint of sorts. Not sure how we have all been operating for years with 0 Workspaces, but what are the right steps for me to take now? Create a Workspace and add everyone to it? But aren’t Organizations and Workspaces parallel entities capable of granting the same email permissions to their members?

We have 70-80 projects, 6 or so teams, all different permissions. I need to give everyone in the org the ability to send emails to asana. If I create a workspace and add everyone to it, will this change anyone’s permissions or visibilities, and if so, is there an easy way for me to see exactly what would change? Thank you!

What is your email system. Can you use the g-mail chrome extension or Sendana for Outlook.

I use gmail. Can you say more about the Chrome extension?

Maybe you should have a look at your Profile Settings and especially the “To Email” tab where you can decide which email redirects task to which Organization. The fact that you have no Workspace is not issue for me.

1 Like

Yes @Bastien_Siebman I agree with you, @Stephanie_Oberg can you verify what email address you have set for “Myrealcompany” under the “From Email” tab of your profile settings: How to Control Your Profile Settings in Asana | Product guide • Asana Product Guide.

Keep us posted!

1 Like

Thanks for the help! Under My Profile Settings/From Email, this is the situation:

My account shows:

EMAILS SENT FROM soberg@myrealcompany.com… CREATE TASKS & CONVERSATIONS IN Myrealcompany (i.e. the name of the organization) and I CAN create tasks by sending email

Other coworkers’ accounts show:

EMAILS SENT FROM othercoworker@myrealcompany.com… CREATE TASKS & CONVERSATIONS IN Myrealcompany (identical to mine) and they CANNOT create tasks by sending email; they get “We couldn’t process your email…”

Hi @Stephanie_Oberg - It looks like your issue may require more 1:1 attention and access to your account details than we’re able to provide here in the public Community. As such, I recommend that you contact our support team at Asana Support - Help Center • Asana. Our team will be happy to help!

1 Like

OK, thanks, am contacting them.

1 Like

I had this problem too. I wasn’t a member of the project to which I was trying to send the emails.

After getting myself invited to the project I was able to create tasks in it via email.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Sending emails to project emails doesn’t create tasks anymore