Could not connect service. I can´t connect IFTTT with asana

@ElBeld, @Marie, This issue is also being discussed at:

and this post should perhaps be moved there.

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

All done @lpb, thanks!

1 Like

Yep my recipe is working again too

This is the site for reporting issues in IFTTT https://help.ifttt.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025901754 I also have sent them an email to support@ifttt.com. If we all send them our concerns the possibilities that they are going to fix it increase. In another way, unless we do something, we are all going to lose this useful service that IFTTT is providing for us, who knows for how long…

1 Like

@lpb Care to share your IFTTT recipe link, as I couldn’t find any that serves this purpose.

Update as of late 2022: Google removed the ability to have these kinds of variable inputs completely disabling this kind of usage, so this is no longer feasible.

@D11, Sure, it’s just: `If You say “task to self $”, then create task:

where the Assignee is oneself.

Hope that helps,

Larry

1 Like

Having the same issue – reported through their form & by email (thank you for the links @JUAN_SERANTES)

Here’s the note I sent for anyone that wants to copy paste:

Asana has had a breaking API change (switching to string IDs) and my recipes are no longer working to add tasks (Applet ID [insert yours here]).

Here are more details on the API change & comments from others expressing the same problem: Could not connect service. I can´t connect IFTTT with asana - #3 by Phil_Seeman

3 Likes

Anyone heard anything? @Ross_Grambo?

@Amin_Lakhani,

Sadly I haven’t heard anything. I’ll try to reach their support again.

2 Likes

Thank you for trying :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s a workaround:

Step #1: IFTTT recipe

• Google Assistant > Google Sheets (new spreadsheet row)

Step #2 Zapier zap

• Google Sheets > Asana

Limitations

1. IFTTT will create a new spreadsheet after hitting 2000 rows (I just created a task to periodically clean out the spreadsheet)
  2. Zapier costs money after a certain number of executions
  3. There is a noticeable delay (about 2 minutes in my testing)

Hope that helps if this is also a critical service for you.

Update as of late 2022: Google removed the ability to have these kinds of variable inputs completely disabling this kind of usage, so this is no longer feasible.

Since IFTTT is still not working with the Asana service, I replaced my simple Google Assistant > Asana “Task to Self” applet described above with an even simpler one (and also simpler than @Amin_Lakhani’s immediately above because it doesn’t require 1) needing to use both IFTTT and Zapier, and 2) needing to authorize GSheets access):

First, create this applet in IFTTT:

Then set up a filter (in Gmail in my case) to forward messages that match this signature to x@mail.asana.com. That’s enough to create simple voice reminders, etc. as task titles (albeit with some junk in the body courtesy of IFTTT).

I still hope @Ross_Grambo will keep the pressure up with them though!

Larry

2 Likes

Nice – does this add due dates to your tasks? I like having my voice tasks show up in my regular workflow, and I think that would be the only thing missing from this solution for me (other than built-up junk in Gmail that might compromise search effectiveness).

@Amin_Lakhani, The Gmail filter can delete the email as part of the filter definition if desired. The mail-to-Asana feature doesn’t support a due date. I use this for quick reminders to my My Tasks, but then add due dates, projects, etc. as needed when I have more time.

1 Like

Has anyone had luck here? I’m new at IFTTT and seems the only issue I have to connect apps is when it involves Asana.

For reference I am trying to have a Google sheet updated for every completed Asana task.

1 Like

@anon42579136, try Zapier instead. Asana changed some of the internals of their API and IFTTT has to date not updated their code to reflect the Asana change - but Zapier did make the necessary updates on their end, so it should work fine.

1 Like

Come on guys! This is the reason we don’t have flying cars in 2020 yet!
It should be an easy fix Asana, we should not be needing Zapier or IFTTT to do such a simple sync between Asana and Google. You realize this is a major disadvantage why people would go to other competitors of Asana because of this issue alone! I have no background in programming yet I managed with the help of my brother to create a bot from scratch that is able to do this sync, is anyone in Asana willing to help us improve our bot? If so please contact me on my email. ramiemad1988@gmail.com

In regards to Asana and IFTTT. I’ve been speaking with their platform team. They rolled out a fix in January that fixed the Asana Service. You can now connect to the Asana service in IFTTT.

The remaining issue is that the Applets need updating as well. I’m still working with them on getting the standard Asana Applets fixed (the ones that say “By Asana”). The code is in their codebase so we’re waiting to get some of their developers time to get it fixed.

Sorry that this is broken in the meantime! For those who are interested, you can make your own IFTTT Applet with the Asana Service for your integration if you need to be unblocked asap.

1 Like

Could someone try and create a IFTTT Asana connection and report back here? We’re in the classic software situation where it works when the IFTTT team tries it, but fails when our team tries it. I’d love to hear if it’s working for some of you.

Pick any of the options from Asana Integrations - Connect Your Apps with IFTTT that say they are by “Asana”.

This is one that failed for us but succeeded for them: Add completed Asana tasks to a Google Spreadsheet - IFTTT

Hey @Ross_Grambo,

I have good news and bad news (and it’s the same news!) - I tried the applet you suggested and it worked perfectly. I completed a task in the designated project, and maybe 30 seconds later, a new sheet appeared in my Google account with the name of the project, and with that competed task in it in row 1.

1 Like