Convert existing single-select field to multi-select

This is a SUPER BIG productivity killer. Our projects evolve all the time and field types need to change. Especially single- and multi-select!!! It’s super annoying to rebuild those. I we have fields with 20 values. I need to copy/paste 20 values just to create a new field and then copy every single value in the table, which has HUNDREDS of tasks.

4 Likes

Our team desperately needs this feature, since our projects tend to evolve as other teams are integrated.

1 Like

Completely agreed! It would be really helpful and efficient if we could change elements of the field types without having to completely redo them. Hopefully they’re able to implement this in the near future.

Hi, i would really appreciete it as well…
now i have it in so many projects, task and also tamplates… that i just quit doing it, because it’s so much work i don’t have time for…
please make this update! :pray:

Hi Rebecca,
I really would like to this function will be added very soon. It’s a too much hassle to add a new field type and entering the data from previous filed.

Has this been added yet? I’m going to throw in the towel if I can’t use it. I’ve just imported a huge Excel file and I need to change the field type on several fields as I can’t sort my data properly.

Just throwing my 2 cents in here - this would be an incredibly useful feature to add. It’s very frustrating to create a detailed field, save it and then realise that a field type is wrong.

Thank you for all the comments! I’m afraid we don’t have any public plan so far. But I will again pass your request to the product team :slight_smile:

Need this!

Is there any request out there to change from Multi-select to Single Select?

I requested support from a partner by emailing the partner team but never heard back

Happy to pay for API support from a partner, but need to know who to work with.

@lilrkt,

You can click this thread’s title and vote at the top.

You mention API support but in case you weren’t aware, it’s not hard to either have an Asana Services Partner (like me!) do this for you or show you how it can be done quickly, even if there are many to change (using built-in Asana tools).

But if you want to have a custom software solution built to do this, some Partners offer that service; I’d recommend @Bastien_Siebman in that case.

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

+1

Ok, thank you Larry
I’ll follow up privately to discuss partner services.

1 Like

Appreciate the video, but this is still a big friction point for me because I don’t have time to take all of those steps. Plus, I don’t know what to do about an intricate form I’ve set up. I guess alternatively it would be helpful to be able to rearrange forms even more.

+1 – but the original request and this thread began years ago – has this change been implemented?

@John_McDermott I gave you an answer on my YouTube video but no this is not something that is available yet as a feature, you can’t change a field’s type I am afraid.

Big +1!

+1!

Much needed! I honestly am only even trying to convert them because the multi-select has better filtering options. I will still use the field as a single-select but need better filters.

+1 Does not seem to be an option though this was marked as “solved”. I see a workaround, but why go through all that work rather than just allow the update to the field type for at least single to multi-select.

1 Like