Configuring Notifications

Within “Member notification settings” (from the screen shot – attached), different members of our team are receiving the same alerts even though their selects are different (i.e. Robin receives status updates, messages, and tasks added and Rodolfo does not. Yet they both receive the same notifications).

We need to understand the true differences between these settings so we can tailor them appropriately. In many instances, folks who were originally the Task owner and then taken off the Task to be replaced with someone else, yet they’re still (unnecessarily) receiving notifications. How do we fix this? Can someone please advise?

Thanks!

@RobinALewis,

I bet in all cases the problem is that people are remaining as a Collaborator on the task which, like the other settings you mention, also sets you up for certain notifications.

Each person can click Leave task, or anyone can remove anyone else by hovering their profile image and clicking the small “x” that appears.

Check How to use Asana, Asana tutorials, onboarding tips, and team use cases | Product guide • Asana Product Guide searching for Notifications for more info if you need it.

Larry

Thanks, @Ipb!

1 Like

@lpb, have another question about notifications if you don’t mind? It seems some of us are receiving email alerts for things, and others are not – yet, our notification settings are the same for what I shared in the original screen shot I shared. Any advice on how to reconfigure and/or update for greater consistency?

Thanks again!

1 Like

@RobinALewis,

Whether one gets an email for notifications (as opposed to the Asana Inbox only) is set in Profile image menu (top right corner) > My settings > Notifications > Email Notifications.

Thanks,

Larry

Thanks so much, Larry!

1 Like

So I have a few projects where there are hundreds of tasks that I created. Therefore I am by default a collaborator on all. When a team of users works on and resolves about 10-30 tasks per day, I am getting flooded in the Inbox. It really is impossible for me to manually click each of the hundreds of tasks and deselect me from being a collaborator.

So what’s the solution in this case? Inbox for me and a few other project PMs is basically unworkable due to the flood of messages in Inbox.

Consider using a custom rule or script that automatically removes you as a collaborator when a task is created or assigned. This can help manage Inbox overload.

Hi @Arthur_Sierzputowski , you could enable the ‘Collaborator’ field from the ‘Hide’ button within each project. Then select all tasks (up to 50 at a time) and then click into the Collaborators field of any selected task and then remove yourself (or the other PMs you mention) which will apply the same to all selected tasks in one go.