Commentor on Project Template becomes Editor on Projects created from that template

Hi, noticed something that may be a bug: I added someone to a Project Template with Commentor permissions. So then I created a project off that template, and that person was added, but was given Edit permission - I guess I was expecting they’d also have Comments Only permissions.

As a workaround, I think we’ll just go ahead and add this person each time, making sure to set to Comments Only, vs risk forgetting to change down from Edit.

Hi @Christopher_Yi, thanks for reaching out and I’m sorry for the trouble!

Just to make sure I understand the issue, does it only happen when you create a new project from a template? If you try to duplicate the project, do you experience the same?

Looking forward to your reply!

We only noticed it when creating a new project from a template - but just checked and if I DUPLICATE the project template, the permissions stay the same.

Thanks for the additional information @Christopher_Yi. I checked internally and the option of keeping user permissions is not available when you create a new project from a template, and as a workaround you can duplicate the project and this will duplicate your project including all user’s permissions. Apologies for any inconvenience, I’ll make sure to keep this thread updated when we launch this feature.

I’ve also gone ahead and slightly changed the thread title to make it more discoverable for other users.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have follow-up questions!

1 Like

Hi Emily! Has there been any solution for this? My team is trying to use a project template however, we don’t want the entire team to have access to the project template to avoid any potential mistakes in the template. We’ve made it so everyone on the team can comment except 1 person but now they are added to every project that is being created using that template. Would love any type of workaround you may have for this. Thank!