Comment-only not actually comment-only?

Hello,

I’m a little confused with Asana’s “comment-only” feature.

In order to prevent mishap and accidental changes to tasks, I am trying to assign everyone on a project “comment-only”, so that only the project manager can make changes to tasks. For example, we don’t want people to accidentally delete a dependency, change a due date, or change a task’s section. But when I assign a user “comment-only” permission, that user is still able to make all those changes–worse, they’re even able to delete the task!

What am I missing here?

Thank you in advance!

Whoops, I actually got it! The tasks in question were in several projects at the same time, and one of them was not comment-only, so the user was able to make changes.

One more question, if someone can help me: is it possible to allow comment-only users to make changes to just one field (for example “status”)?

@Raph2

That currently isn’t a feature in Asana. However, feature to have just one field ‘Status’ editable and rest of them ‘Read Only’ could be a little tedious to manage.

@Emily_Roman @Marie Is something like this in the development pipeline by any chance?

It would be really useful to have User rights based on Features.
For example:

View Add/Edit Delete
Comments x
Tasks x
Project x x
Goals x x
Messages x x x
Milestones x
Progress x
Custom Fields x x
Rules x

Something like this could be really useful.
Thanks.

4 Likes

That’s not in our short plans @anon41024217, but definitely something we will continue considering in the future.

@Raph2 I would encourage you to add this request to our #productfeedback so other community folks can support and upvote this feature request!

This feels related to this topic. Just recently (maybe within the past month) I’ve had employees reach out saying they are getting a message indicating they can’t make edits on a task because they are comment-only. But I am unable to find any reason for this to be so.

Sometimes the note states that a task is in more than one project (but it isn’t) and sometimes it is in more than one project, but both projects are clearly public to the whole organization with no restrictions in the settings.
Asana Multiple Projects Comment Only Issue

Hey @Chasity_Scoggins

here is a detailed explanation on how comment-only vs full access works: Project permissions | Product guide • Asana Product Guide
Task Permissions in Asana | Product guide • Asana Product Guide

Have you checked with the person that owns the Asana organization/workspace that was set up for your company? Maybe somebody has made some changes to the settings?
Check especially the Individual user project permissions

Hi @Andrea_Mayer That person is me, and I have not made any changes. However, you’ve definitely pointed me in the right direction! Thank you for the response and help.

1 Like