Column Chart tasks without assignee

Hi All,

I want to create Column Chart which shows the amount to tasks (for a specific category) without assignees. Any idea how I can define that.

Thanks.

Hi @Niels_Oomen , what is your specific category? Sections or a custom field?

hi @Richard_Sather. It is a customer field (roles, or actually communities) the need pick-up un assigned tasks and I want to see in a Column Chart how many tasks are un assigned per role.

Hi @Niels_Oomen , Oh I see now what you mean.

Unfortunately, currently, Asana does not support ‘unassigned’ as a filter in dashboards.

However, native Asana Rules actually do!
So you could create a single-select field with two options for ‘Assigned’ and ‘Unassigned’, like this:

and then have a rule to adjust that field accordingly. It would look like this:

You could then use this field in a dashboard’s chart, like this:

But since you want to see it by category and only unassigned tasks, you would set the X-axis to the custom field of your ‘specific category’ and then add a filter to only show the unassigned tasks from the ‘Assignee status’ custom field, which we created above, like this:

2 Likes

@Richard_Sather Thanks for the input very helpful. Bit unfourtunate that this is not by default in Asana.

Is there an option to run rules (like you just proposed) and is updating the information for all the tasks?

Yes, you could create a section called ‘run rules’ and then add a condition to the rule I showed above, that if tasks are moved to that particular, it will then run the rule.

You can move all existing tasks into that section, let the rule run and then delete the section BUT keeping the tasks, obviously!

I also recommend testing all the above on ONE task first before applying to many, to make sure the rule runs as expected. :wink:

Additionally to @Richard_Sather great answer I have found an existing feedback request thread around this topic

2 Likes

Creating rules, to run rules… :thinking:
It is an option…

You don’t need to create another rule… just simply modify my original rule by including the ‘Run rules’ section’ as a trigger and condition, like this:

So whenever you move existing tasks into that section, the rule will run. Once you have done that for all existing tasks, delete the section and revert the rule back to the original version I showed above. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.