Choose in which Column/Section new recurring tasks are being generated

The repeat function on a task within a board (workflow) would greatly benefit with the option to pre-set what status/column the new task is in. When I complete a task in the Completed status/column, the new repeated task will show in that same status/column. Is there any way around this?

3 Likes

Hi @Todd_Gaddis and thanks for sharing your feedback with us!

You’re completely right, as it stands new tasks are automatically populated in the same column or section than the initial task. @Phil_Seeman, is this something Flowsana can help with?

@Todd_Gaddis I’ve slightly edited your post so it better reflects your feedback and is more discoverable to other users, hope you don’t mind!

Hi @Todd_Gaddis, welcome to the forum - and thanks @Marie for the mention.

Yes, a Flowsana If-Then Rule can definitely solve this. You’d just create a rule to move all new tasks in that project to the desired column, like this for example:

I just tested it and it works fine with repeating tasks. The only stipulation is that the rule will move ALL new tasks to the column you specify, not just new tasks created as a result of completing a repeating task. But I imagine that will be fine, since you probably do want the completed repeating task to appear in the same column as brand new tasks you add to the project, yes?

4 Likes

Thanks Phil! You’re correct, I will try this out and let you know if I run into any issues. Thanks to both of you for your assistance!

2 Likes

This doesn’t work for me.

Maybe it’s not working for me because I have other rules that move to other columns when a progress is assigned.

@Phil_Seeman, where do you find this condition of “is newly created”?

Hi @Simon_Knudsen,

I was referring to my Flowsana integration, which has its own If-Then Rules, set in the Flowsana web portal.

Just added my vote on this. I guess its not solved yet.

1 Like

Any updates on this? Would love to have reoccurring tasks either popup in the right column or be affected by rules correctly.

2 Likes

Fix this issue…PLEASE!

2 Likes

Seriously…. Cant believe we are still waiting on this.

+1 - I have a section for my reoccurring tasks in my “My Tasks,” but when I complete them, they repopulate in my unassigned “Tasks” section instead of re-populating in my “Reoccurring Tasks” section. It looks like Asana does have a “hack” where I can set reoccurring tasks to repopulate in the last section of my tasks automatically, but I don’t want to make that section my last section on my tasks. Is there a rule I can use to have existing reoccurring tasks automatically repopulate in my “Reoccurring Tasks” section when completed?

1 Like