Ability to choose sections for recurring tasks hack in My Tasks

@Emily_Roman - Thanks for adding the “recurring tasks in last section” hack, though a few of us have been running into issues with this solution due to it simply just adding it to the “last section” instead of letting us actually select a section.

This is definitely a good step in the right direction, but it’s a bit frustrating that it’s just “the last column” because here’s the columns that my team uses in My Tasks:

So “the last column” is most definitely not the section that we want the task to move to. Wish we could select the column we’d like it to move them to.

I also can’t use rules to automate this because rules don’t allow you to have “task not complete” as part of the trigger:

So this would work in theory, but I need it to be “Task Not Complete” instead of “Task Marked Complete”.

Are there any plans to allow us to at least select the section we’d like the recurring tasks to auto-move to? Or open up automation to allow us to create a rule (would need the trigger to be “task is not complete” as a trigger to do this.

(This is a follow-up from this thread that was recently closed):

1 Like

Hi @abass, thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback.

I hear you, being able to choose the section that recurring tasks live in would be a nice feature. I’ve gone ahead and moved your post to the #productfeedback category and updated the title slightly, I hope you don’t mind :slight_smile:

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if we have any updates on this :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks a lot, I missed that one!

1 Like

I have recurring tasks (daily, weekly, monthly) that I want to populate only to a section called “Recurring.” When I complete a task, however, it populates either in the default section or (if I have the Hack turned on) to the last section in the list. Preferred behavior is that a task in section A that is set to recur populates the new task back in section A and not anywhere else. Is there anyway to get this to happen? I cannot find a rule combination that achieves this goal.

1 Like

Welcome, @anon51146534,

I’m afraid this isn’t currently possible, but I’ve merged your request into a thread with the same request and you can now vote on this request at the top of the thread.

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

Now that My Tasks has custom fields, maybe you can have a “type” field with “Recurring” as an option, and then a rule placing those tasks in the right section?

1 Like

@Bastien_Siebman,

I don’t see how that would be any more efficient to change a Type field rather than just changing the section mover which already exists and requires no custom field or rule.

And, if I recall, rules don’t fire upon creation of a task recurrence, so I don’t see any easy way to automate this further than just manually using the section mover.

Larry

Yes you can if the field is added to My Tasks, see image.

I applied a type to recurring tasks and it looks like it does work, maybe because the task gets created with a due date in the future, so when the due date arrives, the rule does trigger, it does not have to trigger on creation… Do you see what I mean?

@Bastien_Siebman,

I interpreted @anon51146534’s request differently than you. She wrote:

Preferred behavior is that a task […] that is set to recur populates the new task back in [that] section and not anywhere else. Is there any way to get this to happen?

Your rule solution will leave it in the “wrong” session for a potentially really long time! But maybe it will be a helpful partial workaround to some.

(Thanks for catching my mistake re rules in My Tasks on custom fields, which I removed from my post to avoid confusing people. I have some custom fields in My Tasks, and none appeared as rule triggers, but that was only because none were select types and I jumped to the wrong conclusion.)

Larry

1 Like

Yes 100% agree.

1 Like

Recurring tasks would be even better if they stayed on the same board as the previous completed one.

1 Like

Hi @Charles_Charbonneau, and thanks for your feedback.

I think your product request is very similar to this one : Ability to choose sections for recurring tasks hack in My Tasks

If you allow me, I would like to merge it there (to increase the chance of the feature to be selected by the product team).

Please let me know :wink:

1 Like

yes for sure thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am also looking for a solution here! I have created a custom single select tag called “Repeat” to try and get this to work, and assigned this tag on the Repeat tasks, and set up a rule to get new tasks with the Repeat tag to go to the “Repeat” section. However, it doesn’t seem to work on the automatically re-created repeat tasks? Am I doing something wrong here, or is that just not possible to act as a trigger as the board doesn’t see it as “new”?

FYI this can be done via a rule in our Flowsana integration. If you build a Flowsana rule using the “If task is newly added” trigger condition, that condition will trigger upon a new instance of a recurring task being created when the previous one is marked complete.