Bug when searching custom fields

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:

I’ve set up a custom field to track an ID in tasks that’s related to records in an external system. The value in the field is something like this: 1-00241200.

Even though I have a task in Asana with this value stored in a custom field, if I search for this value the task isn’t found.

Even if I run an advanced search, add the custom field and search by custom field, it doesn’t find the task with 1-00241200 saved.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a task
  2. Create a new custom field
  3. Add the value 1-00241200 to the custom field
  4. Search for the value 1-00241200 using asana search
  5. Nothing should be returned
  6. Now use advanced search and add your custom field to the search filter
  7. Run an advanced search on the custom field using the value 1-00241200
  8. Nothing should be returned

Browser version: Chrome Version 78.0.3904.108 (Official Build) (64-bit) OSX

Upload screenshots below:

Hi @Rob_Davies :wave: Sorry for the inconvenience.

This is actually not a Bug but actually a product limitation. As it stands, It is not possible to ran an Advanced Search for a Custom Field that is specific for a Project but only global Custom fields (that belongs to the Organization Library).

I understand that this is not ideal, but a workaround could be to edit this Custom Field to make it available for the entire Organization (if it already exist you can add an underscore or hyphen). It will be then searchable and you can revert this whenever you need to.

I hope this helps Rob but please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with!

1 Like

Hi Natalia,

Ok. Understood.

Thanks for the speedy response. :smiley:

1 Like