Backgrounds Option Is Not Available in Some Organizations

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:

• The My Settings > Display > Backgrounds selector shows up for the same account in some organizations and not in others.

Steps to reproduce:

• Example where the Backgrounds option does not appear
  • Select Profile Icon > My Settings > Display > Notice there is no Backgrounds selection option:

• Example using the same account and in a different Organization; expected behavior:
  • Select Profile Icon > My Settings > Display > Backgrounds selector is available as expected:

Browser version: This issue is consistent when accessing Asana from various browsers:

• Edge 104.0.1293.63 (Official build) (64-bit)
  • Chrome Version 104.0.5112.102 (Official Build) (64-bit)
  • Vivaldi 5.4.2753.40 (Stable channel) (64-bit)
  • The desktop app

Additional Info:

• I do not see an organization-specific option controlling this behavior in the Admin Console
  • The steps below were performed using the same user account
  • Both organizations in the examples below have the Business license
  • This issue has been consistent for a number of months, and I don’t recall a time when it was not present

Perhaps it is not actually a bug and there is a way to control this behavior. If so, please share your suggestions. @ambforumleader

Thank you!

My guess is that they are removing the option, maybe as an AB test. I’ll Asana answer officially.

1 Like

Hi @David_Nelson, thanks for raising this.

As Bastien guessed, this began as an A/B but has now been fully shipped. Backgrounds have been removed from new domains going forward.

I hope this clarifies!

1 Like

Hi @Rebecca_McGrath, good to know. Thank you for clarifying that!

@Rebecca_McGrath
Noooooooo :frowning:

I LOVE my mountains background.

Is it new domains only? Older domains will keep access?

2 Likes

It means you are using Board view? Since this is the only place you can see the background :slight_smile: I never use Board view ^^

Small teasing, I am working on creating skins for Asana, just like we had for Winamp back in the days :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nope. I also never use board view… Well almost never.

But I use full screen focus mode all the time.

1 Like

@Bastien_Siebman, that would be great!

1 Like

@Bryan_TeamKickstart, I’m with you on that. I use focus mode regularly, and it is nice to have background options for it. Additionally, while I prefer List view for most projects, I think that Board view has its place and is a good fit for certain types of workflows. When using Board view, having the option for backgrounds adds a lot to the user experience.

3 Likes

So sad when a software provider removes features instead of adding! Yes, Asana adds features, but “it giveth and it taketh away!” And, in some cases, it has removed very important, useful features. Very sad and in some cases unconscionable!

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.