Auto-Populate a Project Date Range

@Natalia thank you for the responses, yes I think that thread does lay out most of what I’m thinking of, thanks for looking for it!

I think this whole stream will merge over there, so I just wanted to add that what I have in mind really here is something like this:

• You set up a Project and add duration with start and due date (as a side, it might be interesting if you guys had this feature to just add duration and let the start and due date “self-determine” from the first task’s date)

• As tasks move along, via dependency auto-scheduling, the Project’s end date starts to move. You should be able to see the growing difference on the Project Progress Panel.

• When the project ends, the date of completion is marked. You could include on the Project Progress Panel the info about the “Planned End date” vs. “Actual End Date.”

With this info in mind, you could then roll this into Portfolios as well, ideally on a Progress Panel of their own that you guys could deliver, and you’d start to get a whole bunch of great data right in Asana.

I added some of this over on your “Leave Feedback” link in the Progress Panel as well.

And I also would like to reference the following post:

which is a very active one I highly support to, and is closely tied to this.

I apologize if this post is too long, but in my experience these details are useful to product teams!: So I wanted to post also that I am a user of Wrike, have looked at a lot of other similar tools with Gantt & dependencies. I closely analyzed Asana 2 years ago, but chose something else. Much of the research I read would refer to Asana as a “Task management” tool, and Wrike and others as more “Project Management.” I am back now largely because you guys have some terrific fundamentals with Timelines and Portfolios, and Project Progress, so you guys have come a long way towards being a true Project Management solution.

****One very small thing in Project Progress that is really great is your addition of the “subject line” when posting updates - practically eliminates need for Email or Slack!

I will keep a close eye on this and related posts, really hoping you guys continue to iterate quickly what you’ve already built on around Timelines/Project reporting functionality!

1 Like