assigning tasks to the project owner automatically

I have a portfolio that creates projects based on project template. This project template has multiple tasks. These projects will be assigned to a person and so as the individual tasks. On the template I have tasks assignee as the “project owner”. However, when the project is created using the template, none of the tasks is automatically assigned to the project owner. Since project role is set for project owner and I assumed it will automatically assignee the task the project owner. However, it doesn’t work. Is there a way to have the tasks assigned to project owner automatically? TIA

Hi @Sasanka_Andawatta - great question and definitely something I would like as well.
But, no, there is not currently a way to have a role map to the project owner.

If you created or have created a role called “Project Owner”, that could serve as a reminder to the person creating the project to put their name in for that role, and that would ensure they are assigned the tasks that are meant for the project owner.

Thank you for the reply. Is there a way to archive what I am trying to do.

Same project, same tasks list (repetitive project), the projects are assigned to different people. Almost all the tasks needs to be assigned to project owner. Is there any work around for this?

Yes, you can create a project template and use the “Project Roles” feature and everything that should be assigned to the project owner should be set with the role “Project Owner” or whatever you’d like to call it.

Then, DURING the creation of the project FROM the template, Asana will ask you to select who should fill each role. Put the name of the project owner in the “Project Owner” role and it will auto-assign all of that role’s tasks to that person.

Here’s exactly how it works – this link will take you to the part that explains roles.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.

I have the project roles set to “project owner”. see below.

Then Project owner set up as well. However when the projects are created using the template (converted from task to project, created using a template) those tasks don’t get filled.

It seems like if I create a project manually using a template, the roles are assigned correctly. However, If I create a project using a rule on a portfolio, the roles are not getting assigned.

Oh, @Sasanka_Andawatta - I misunderstood what you were attending to do. Yes, you are correct. When you use the automated rule-based project creation, the Roles feature does not get used.

I hope they support that in the future. As a marginally helpful workaround, you can also use a Role single select field and have it match the roles you have in the template. This will allow you or the project creator to easily bulk populate assignees after project creation, but it won’t be automatic.

Just FYI – this CAN be accomplished using Zapier to build a custom automation. If you have somebody on your team with Zapier or low-code automation experience, they could build this for you.

If not, you are welcome to reach out to me if you’d like my team to build this as a custom third-party automation for you.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.