Assign multiple assignees on one task

I agree this would be incredibly helpful. And I understand the benefit of having one person responsible, but at the same time if people are in training or if input is needed from both sides then both people should be able to see the same task on their task list/calendar. It’s inconvenient to constantly have to split it up so both people can have it listed.

So…this has been requested by almost a 1000 individuals consistently since March 2017 and nothing was done to address this? What is the point of this forum then?

I agree a 100% that this feature is very much needed, and honestly surprised that Asana has not figured a way yet to give the people what they want. I understand that having only 1 person as an assignee might ensure accountability, but there is a way to have both. There were several good suggestions in previous comments, such as adding a principal function (maybe have 2 fields for “assignee” - one for the principle and one for the individual who carries out the task). I also understand that this is reflecting Asana’s philosophy, but isn’t costumer service a part of that philosophy as well?

6 Likes

Looking into making the switch to asana and I do want to add one more vote to this functionality. This is how our organization functions and it would clutter things to have duplicate tasks.

1 Like

I have not read through this entire thread so may be speaking out of turn, but I for one would be very concerned about allowing Tasks and SubTasks to be assigned to multiple people, completely from the standpoint of a lack of accountability. It is easy for people to fall into the ‘group think’ that a ‘group’ will get something done. In reality, it is extremely rare for more than one person to be working on a task symmetrically and simultaneously and it is very easy for someone to think ‘the group’ will take care of it.

I have worked hard to move our organization to one of more accountability. In Asana every project has an owner, every task has an assignee. Asana has been helpful in us evolving into a more productive and efficient organization and I believe that allowing only one owner per project and one assignee per task has helped that.

For awareness Asana obviously allows unlimited members per project, unlimited followers per task and unlimited subtasks to subdivide the work. These all seem adequate to me to allow for greater awareness.

However… this is obviously a feature that a number of people are interested in. One of the things that drew me to select Asana for our organization years ago was its flexibility - it gracefully allowed everyone to use their own style of task management while not disrupting the task and project completion ability of the organization. I don’t begrudge Asana from offering this additional flexibility, I just hope that if they do, they allow organizations like mine to keep that Pandora’s box closed. Now that we have finally made significant improvements in accountability, I do not want to see it all erode away back into ‘group think’.

Anyway, those are my unsolicited thoughts.

If you aren’t going to change this ridiculous policy that doesn’t allow more than one assignee, then there should absolutely be a function to add these tasks / project timelines to other people’s calendars.
I am the resource manager at a creative agency, and Asana does not provide an accurate representation of what my teams are working on. I should be able to look at one of my creative’s calendar and have all their projects populated in there. I don’t understand why there isn’t an option to input a project timeline into a “collaborators” schedule.
Unfortunately, I feel I have put too much time and effort into Asana and onboarding my team to switch to another project management tool. However, if people are finding Trello to be much more user-friendly and has better customer service, I might consider looking into it. Does anyone have any feedback on Trello or other PM tools out there?

1 Like

CHANGE. IT. NOW.

1 Like

I am in a similar situation to @Elizabeth_Hicks where I am the project manager at a creative agency and the current inability to assign multiple people to a task does not work for us. Copying tasks is time consuming and messy. I understand Asana’s stance on accountability with assigning one person. However, in some situations we have managers or team members who equally share accountability for a task. Rather than Asana forcing teams to comply with their view on accountability for projects and tasks, they should allow the leadership of their customers to make this decision for their own work environment. Asana is supposed to be flexible to individual work environments and collaborative. The lack of multiple assignees to a task goes against that notion entirely. Over a thousand people have commented here since 2017. Asana should listen to their customers.

4 Likes

If accountability is the issue, how about you add the functionality of assigning someone as the task owner (as an option).

1 Like

I’m trying to manage projects and also need them assigned to people to get them done. I’d prefer for forms to go directly to an assigned person, but with me still seeing them as well since I’m managing the project. This automation would save time. Now I have to assign to myself, then assign to someone else, then use a bunch of @ to use multiple people for a task. It really makes no sense. If someone is managing tasks and assigning them to others, why not let us both get notified. Then if someone is going ot tackle the project by themselves they can make themselves the one person assigned to it. In the process I still get an email notification that there is a project in process.

1 Like

I understand only assigning the task to one person, but then how can i get their task to show in my calendar? I see their task in my “daily update” but, would be nice to see in my calendar. That’s my resining for adding an additional person to a subtask.
Thanks

1 Like

Yes, of course there are other cases. I’m a project manager and I miss deadlines because I can’t see the tasks on my task list and sometimes going through them one by one makes me miss things. Me being able to assign them to myself would solve my problem. Not only do I not have the ability to assign them so I can see them on MY task list, I also can’t see anyone else’s task lists. If you cannot give us the ability for multiple assignees, at the very least, let us be able to see the rest of the teams task lists. Your competitors are doing it better. If I could convince my client to jump ship, we would already be gone to another with a lot more features and that actually seems to implement its customers wishes and feedback.

2 Likes

Please do never change this. One task, one assignee. “Who owns the monkey”

1 Like

Terrible, terrible design decision by the Asana Team. Hoping for a change soon, but then again, this thread is from 2017…

3 Likes

Why can’t that just be an internal business decision? Why enforce your rule for everyone?

It would be great to assign multiple people to a single task.

4 Likes

I guess this place is just for people to vent and for Asana to do absolutely nothing about fixing highly requested problems… what is the point of even having feedback forums like this if the company does nothing.

4 Likes

This is not a very good solution. Is there any such thing of a company that does not have teammates work on the same task together? This needs to be revisited.

1 Like

Please do change this. Not all organizations work the same. People work on the same task all of the time. This needs to be an option. You don’t have to use it

3 Likes

Doesn’t look like this has been addressed. I, too, would like to be able to assign multiple people to a task. For example, a colleague and I are collaborating on a product design. We’d like the task to show up on both our task lists. Obviously it won’t show up on one of ours if it’s not assigned to them.

The solution seems simple … just let us to decide whether or not we need to assign one or multiple people to the task. Your workaround with copies of the task means there’s a need to assign multiple people to a task. It’s an inefficient way to do so. Wish our team knew about this issue before signing with Asana. We are still early in using Asana so we can still switch service if this isn’t addressed.

3 Likes

@Tou_Yia_Xiong @Kyle_Arnold @Craig_Kohtz @Andrés_Camargo @Matt_Detore

Please vote for it too so that it can be prioritized.
Thanks

1 Like

I have, but clearly it doesn’t seem it will ever be a priority. Same goes for most recommendations here.