Asana rule to immediately move tasks to specific section where the due date is set to a future date

I’d like to move tasks from my “current” section to a “later” section if I set the due date to be after “Today”. Seems like the way to do that is look for where the due date is 1 day in the future and in the “current” section, and then move those to the "later section.

However, seems like that rule will only run at midnight. Is there a way to have this run right when I change the due date to be later than the current date on a task? Aka is there a way to trigger a rule to instantly be run on the due date field (like how you can on a priority field)?

I was going to suggest using a formula field and the today function. But it doesn’t seem like we can use a formula field in rules yet.

Also, I don’t see how we can use the today function directly in rules.

@Richard_Sather do you have a bright idea about this?

2 Likes

Thanks for looping me in @Jan-Rienk !

Hi @Taylor_Chiu , indeed formulas won’t help here and rules only trigger at midnight when it you use the due date approaching trigger.

How about you instead replace your sections with group by due date? Along the top, next to Filter and Sort buttons, click on Group by and choose Due date instead of Sections. You may then also want to sort by due date too.

Does that work for you?

Hi Taylor,

In addition to the good suggestions above, note that another solution is the rules in our Flowsana integration - our date-based rules rules right away on a date change, in addition to running at midnight.

@Richard_Sather Thanks for the suggestion! So I’d be open to using due date as our grouping, although is it possible to still have other custom sections at the same time? If so, would those custom sections still have to adhere to the same due date grouping, or would it be independent?

Interesting! Flowsana sounds like something we may want to try out

1 Like

Hey @Taylor_Chiu , you can actually add a subgroup, within the Group by button settings.

That subgroup could be your sections, or reverse that order so the subgroup is by due date instead but it may appear a bit confusing - best to try it out!