Allow to sort subtasks by complete/incomplete

There is no way to sort sub-tasks by complete/incomplete. Currently, this is very inconvenient if you have a lot of sub-tasks under one task you need to track

2 Likes

Hi @Anastasia_Pahomova and thanks for your feedback!

You’re completely right, as it stands, it is not possible to filter or sort your subtasks directly from your project view. While we haven’t planned to make any changes in the near future, we made note of your comment and will consider it for future updates!

If there is anything else at all I can help you with, please let me know!

5 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: View My Subtasks in a Project / Subtask Quickfilter

Yes! I usually like to have completed ones at the bottom.

Also, a new subtask is always added to the bottom of the list which is very unintuitive since the list is usually collapsed and you need to click “Load more subtasks” to only then find out you’ve been adding empty tasks many clicks ago and now the list is full of empty ones.

Adding a subtask straight to the top of the list and moving that button up as well would make a big difference.

13 Likes

I’m surprised Asana hasn’t tackled this yet. Makes me want to go back to using Jira. It’s a nightmare when we have 20+ subtasks, and no way to sort incomplete subtasks to the top or hide completed subtasks.

5 Likes

Whenever possible try to promote those subtasks to tasks. Using too many subtasks is quite hard indeed :confused:

This thread, Sort subtasks in the list view by due date and Sort subtasks in reverse chronological order are kind of overlapping. Maybe they all should be merged into Ability to sort subtasks in different ways…?

I am here for the sorting of Subtasks by completion as well. Seems silly that this can’t be done. Makes the use of subtasks unhelpful.

2 Likes

Our team really needs this as well. When we go I to a task and expand subtasks. We see 20 completed tasks and have to scroll down “see more” etc to get to the incomplete ones.

2 Likes

Agree - this is sending me crazy…you need to be able to apply the same filtering to subtasks as you can to tasks…the logic should be repeated through the hierarchy of tasks to subtasks to sub-subtasks ad infinitum.

Completely agree we don’t need to see the completed tasks at the top would like to see them moved automatically to the bottom. C’mon Asana please sort this our for us?

2 Likes

Why don’t you just hide completed tasks? You can also create an automation to move into a section at the bottom.

1 Like

Hi, is there any updates on this? Our team would really appreciate being able to sort subtasks by completion

2 Likes

Hi @Konrad_Kopp. Welcome to the Community Forum! Sorting or filtering subtasks is still not possible. If you’ve not already done so, you can vote for this feature above.

You can now create a rule to run on tasks and subtasks, to move completed tasks to a certain section in the project. This works, but it does not affect how the completed subtasks are displayed in the Subtasks list of the parent task.

Completely agree that this should be a feature. I recently shifted my personal to dos to Asana as well and was a bit shocked that this is not possible in business use.

2 Likes

Does Jira do this? We’re using subtasks extensively and I’m ready to look for other solutions.

I am not sure the Asana forum is the right place to discuss Asana alternatives. If you can move this discussion elsewhere it would be ideal :slight_smile:

There are 50 different threads about this topic spanning 3-4 years, but I didnt find a solution yet. When is it going to happen?

We don’t know if it ever will, Asana doesn’t communicate officially on the roadmap sadly.

1 Like