Allow to open task details when multi-selecting tasks

Interesting, I haven’t seen the Advanced Search method fail yet… I even did it with mixed incomplete and complete lists.

Hopefully this isn’t something that was going to “fix itself” thus making it so we can’t even use these workarounds.

I found you don’t need to tab - once you select multiple tasks, as long as ‘Tags’ is a visible column, you can hover over the column and it will outline the border, and when you click on it, you can add/remove tags. The same for other columns. Just posting this in case it helps others.

I certainly wouldn’t have found this was possible without the help of the forum a few weeks ago, and the post I quoted. It was a completely new way of doing it, and no tooltips appeared to show me that - they only showed up on the multi-select popup.

Maybe Asana could also add ‘Add tag’ to the multiselect popup (and not require the column to be visible!), that’d be helpful.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if Asana posted an update to this. But it appears you can’t edit custom fields now, it’s called “edit fields” under the “…” menu. Just multi-select your tasks, wait for the little popup to show at the bottom of the screen, click on the “…” and select “edit fields.”

Glad they added this… it wasn’t fun the other way!

I don’t see a way to do “tags” through this menu, so that’s probably something they still need to work on.

1 Like

Seems like there still isn’t a way to add tags in bulk. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

I’m a new Asana user and funny enough I only noticed something is amiss when I’ve seen someone giving an Asana tutorial on some random topic, when I saw him select multiple tasks and somehow the task details pane showing up I was ecstatic.
I thought he must have some kinda setting enabled that gave him such superpowers.

You can imagine how gutted I feel to figure out that his video was outdated, and that somehow this predicament is the new “new”. :sob:

I really hope we can get those superpowers back, instead of trying to fix something that’s inherently broken

2 Likes

I just noticed that the task details pane opens up when you select multiple tasks in the My tasks page. Why can’t we get this back for our projects?

1 Like

there still isn’t a way to add tags in bulk.

Select the tasks, click on the tag column in list view, edit tags.
Hope that helps :slight_smile:

I just discovered that if I “expand” the tag pane, while all the tasks I want to update are selected, I can find a blank space in one of the tasks and type in the tag. It then applies the tag to everything selected. clunky. We operate our entire business on tags

1 Like

By “tag pane” do you mean the box where the tags can be written, or the details pane? I can do the latter, but the former behaviour where the details pane opens up with multiple tasks selected, does not occur.

I am still waiting/hoping for when Tab-T will work with multi-selected tasks (and of course the Tags column showing). Then I’ll have no need of the details pane opening (aside from how easy it made it to do things on multiple tasks.

1 Like

@Nicolas_Fischer I am still not understanding how to add a tag to multiselected tasks. I’m in list view in a project. When I select multiple tasks, my detail pane disappears and I don’t see anything called “Tags” anywhere to click on.

@Natalia – you said “it is possible to add tags to multiple tasks selected as long as the tag field is activated” – can you please explain this? When I select multiple tasks from a project list screen, I do not see a tag field anywhere.

1 Like

You have to enable the custom field you want to edit in the project list view. Top right, “fields”. Then select multiple tasks and you’ll notice a hover effect when you’re above those custom fields. Click on them, do the changes, done. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, thanks Sarah for this post! It saved me 3 hours!

1 Like

Any updates on this? It’s not working for me. I used to love Asana because it didn’t make me do everything manually, like every other task management software out there.

It’s like they’re killing off the power user features to make it more accessible to newbies, even though keyboard shortcuts are kind of the epitome of a power expert user trick.

@ElBeld,

I think this may be a misunderstanding; the feature has been there.

First, show the Tags column: Using Asana List Layout | Product Guide • Asana Product Guide

Then, multi-select tasks and hover the Tags column for any one of them; they all light up. Click in any one cell, add a tag, and they all are assigned the Tag. You can remove tags this way too.

Hope that helps,

Larry

1 Like

Hello, I don’t see any way to add the Tags column to the List View. Is this an oversight or am I missing something?

Welcome, @Yasmin_Morrison,

The user interface changed, so look for either “Hide” or “Show fields” which will show the menu below in which you’ll find a “Tags” entry you can toggle on:

Larry