Allow to automatically add subtasks to project

The problem with this approach is that it adds it back as a task on the board and it no longer lives where its supposed to within the actual project and it makes the project extremely unorganized.

5 Likes

When we do this multi-homing of subtasks, we usually place the subtasks in a dedicated column.

1 Like

Hi,
I tried to find an answer to a question that seems simple in many places, and I still haven’t found it…
Is it possible to define a rule that add a subtask automatically to the project to which the parent task is associated?

2 Likes

If you figure it out, please let me know!! I cannot believe this basic feature is still being ignored after all this time.

3 Likes

What about automatically marking subtasks as complete after the parent task has been mark as complete?
I was sure it would be a basic rule in the Business plan…

1 Like

Nope, this does not exist yet.

It works in 2 cases:

• if you use task templates to create the subtasks, you can pre-multi-home them
  • if you use a rule to create the subtasks, you can do the same
1 Like

Right. but then you have to do it manually project by project in flowsana. There should be an option for this to be a global setting across all projects. How on earth Asana can think that a sub-task shouldn’t belong to the same project that it’s parent task does is beyond understanding.

2 Likes

It has always been like this. It makes sense if you look at subtasks only being a small step of a parent task. I understand the approach, it made sense at first, but then everyone started using subtasks differently :slight_smile:

@Bastien_Siebman - Thank you very much for the detailed answers.

In Hebrew there is a saying that says: “The water does not resist - it just flows”.
If many users use subtasks in a different way than what ASANA intended to, it may be necessary to adjust the system…
I hope someone at ASANA takes a look at this thread and decides to provide a solution to these problems.

3 Likes

You might not realise it but Asana is making a lot of steps on the subtask topic:

• displayed on the Timeline
  • time tracking rolls up to the parent task
  • rules work on subtasks

All of those are huge, so this is definitely going in the right direction!

3 Likes

Can you please explain how subtasks are being used ‘differently’ that is not a ‘sub’ task of a parent task? And obviously not ‘everyone’ is doing it differently since there is a 5+ year old thread of people continuing asking about this issue…

2 Likes

Also @Bastien_Siebman Just 1 day ago you posted:

You might not realise it but Asana is making a lot of steps on the subtask topic:

• displayed on the Timeline
  • time tracking rolls up to the parent task
  • rules work on subtasks

All of those are huge, so this is definitely going in the right direction. Can you please elaborate on how this solves the problem? Thanks!

Hi, all!

Echoing most everyone’s comments here, but really hoping to see some kind of progress or workaround.

Maybe my problem is different than what others are experiencing (but I’m pretty sure it’s the same):

Why are my subtasks not included in the same project as the parent task? It really throws my team off when they loo at their individual task lists. And when I go to assign the subtask to the right project, the subtasks aren’t showing as subtasks, they show as it’s own parent task AND a subtask. Can’t delete the one that appears (visually) as a parent task without both being deleted.

So frustrating, and everyone on my team is coming to me for an answer. Help!

Screenshot for reference/if I’m off base here.

2 Likes

For example, let’s say you have a project called “Meetings”, containing things like “:calendar: Workshop on subtasks - 1h”. On the task I have a subtask “Send recording”. In this case, the subtask doesn’t belong to the “Meetings” project it the sense that it does not need it, it is self-sufficient, self explanatory. If I want to see all my meetings on a calendar, I don’t want to see all the “Send recording” subtasks. I have tons of other examples like this.

You quoted myself saying “going in the right direction” and you are asking “how this solves the problem”. It does solve YOUR problem, it just goes in the right direction because many other related problems were solved recently.

Thanks @Bastien_Siebman Can you please tell me how I can now utilize thus update to automatically have all sub-tasks belong to their parent project? :slight_smile:

Couple of possibilities:

• if subtasks are created by a rule, it can include the multi-homing
  • if subtasks are created by a task template, it can include the multi-homing
  • for all other cases, you would have to rely on Flowsana, Zapier, make.com, custom coding…
  • or manually multi-home once in a while (you can get the subtasks from a search)
1 Like

Okay, thanks!

1 Like

@Bastien_Siebman Reading your note where you say “if subtasks are created by a task template, it can include the multi-homing.” Are you saying that when you create subtasks in a task template, you can assign them to a project such that every time that task template is used, the subtask are automatically assigned to the project? If so, can you please walk me through the steps to do so? I just experimented with this without success.

Yes exactly. Go and edit your task template, go in a subtask. If you type “Tab + P” on your keyboard, you’ll see a magical “projects” field appear, allowing you to pre-multihome the subtask.

Let me know if it works!

1 Like

Thanks, Bastien. This is super heplful. I’ve gotten this to work in a task template that is part of an existing Project. Next up is to try this out with a new Project based on a Project Template.

1 Like