Allow 0% goal weights (and 100%) for auto progress by subgoal

The goal weights feature is great, but it’s unnecessarily constrained. Please allow 0% (and 100%) as legal values, particularly for the sub-goal auto progress calc.

The reason is flexibility. Many use cases result in a goal with multiple subgoals. In some cases, all those subgoals should participate in the progress setting, but in some cases not.

Say you have a fairly high-level org-wide goal. It has a set of KRs (measures). You want those to automatically determine progress by subgoals progress. That’s fine, until you find that you also want to add a number of Team goals in service of that higher-level org-wide goal, because they belong in the hierarchy. But you don’t want to use them in the auto progress calc. I assumed I could set those to “0%” weights and it would satisfy this use case, but instead it unnecessarily forces me to a minimum of 1%. This makes it inflexible and means I must workaround by not using the auto progress, or not allowing me to set up the hierarchy of goals as I believe it should be.

For added flexibility, please also permit a high value of 100% (currently it’s 99%). This is not as crucial as above, but would be handy during construction to make it easy to total 100% even if there’s just one sub-goal.

The enforcement of weights tallying to 100% should remain unchanged, and that is enough of a clear direction to users that weights must total 100% without limiting all values to 1-99% which limits flexibility.

Thanks,

Larry

3 Likes

Good point @lpb
Voted!

1 Like