Add completion date to tasks

Hi,
Does anyone know if it is possible to add the Completion Date of a task?
I’ve tried adding this as a custom field but there are no date field type.

Thanks,
Ana

5 Likes

Hello Ana,

You can set due dates within tasks and if you are a paid subscriber you can also set start dates as well.

As for recording when a task has been completed, versus when it was due, there isn’t necessarily a field for that. You can approach it several different ways, but anyway you decide to do it would need to be clear among team members as part of a conventions and etiquette. You can create a custom field and have team members enter the date. A tag might be easier than the custom field because it will autopopulate with a tag already created so you will get consistent formatting. We are more concerned with the project completion rather than the individual task completion so we have a convention set up when you complete a project. We have a ‘task’ at the top of the project to collection important information and have a description of the project. We use the date in that task to project the completion date of the whole project and when we complete the project we change the estimated date of completion to the actual completion date before we archive the project. You might consider something like this. I guess the question that you need to ask is, do you really need to know when the task was due or when it was completed and do you need to know the completion of each individual task or the completion of the project? You could have team members change the due date to the completion date before marking it complete, but this seems like adding a lot more work and would likely be forgotten a number of times making tracking less accurate.

I hope this helps,
Katie

2 Likes

Yes, we definitely need to know the Completion Date at the task level, as some other users have stated in other chains. Why this has not been made possible in this tool doesn’t make sense, as all other project tools I’ve worked with have this. This is a clear product gap that can be easily enabled. It’s simply a matter of prioritized development.

18 Likes