Add a "client" placeholder assignee option for templates?

Wondering if this is something I can do:

I’m creating templates (for example, New Client On-Boarding Process) and would like to set up dependencies as tasks travel back and forth between our company and the client. I’d like to be able to assign the client tasks to a placeholder “Client” so that internally we can see the client tasks. The only idea I have is to create an additional “Client@companyname.com” email address internally?

Is there a work-around for this? Or would anyone like to talk me out of this idea all together? :slight_smile: Thanks!

If it’s just about seeing the tasks, can you just add an internal person as a collaborator?

1 Like

Hi @Kait_Tisler

It might be because it’s late in the afternoon here but I’m struggling to understand exactly what you mean! Could you maybe explain a bit more about being able to internally see the client tasks? I’m trying to picture what process you’re planning to follow.

Also, do you have a premium subscription? The advanced search feature would probably solve your problem.

Thanks

It’s probably not the lack of caffeine and more my lack of experience in Asana terminology and processes! :slight_smile: I am creating a workflow template for a client on-boarding process using dependencies so I can copy it for each new client as they sign on. I’m assigning the internal tasks to our team, but was hoping Asana had the ability to assign tasks to a generic “Client” and automatically update the client once I added them to the project - I recently came from Teamwork where this was a functionality. After a morning of searching, I think I’m finding that I’ll need to manually assign each task in the workflow template once I add the client to the project - does that make more sense?

Hey Ryan! Thanks for the reply - yes, I think that’s our best bet. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like

Aha! Got it now. Yes, you would have to manually assign the tasks to the client. However, there are two very quick ways to do this using advanced search.

1. Search for all tasks in the project that are assigned to ‘Nobody’:

1. Use a tag or custom field ‘Client’ on all of those tasks, then run a search for just those tasks.

Once you have the search results, you can multi-select them all and assign them in one go.

Hope that helps!

3 Likes

Am I late to the party?
@Kait_Tisler We started a similer process and created an account for clients as a placeholder.
However, this would normally end up someone’s responsibility to keep it up to date and it will take 1 license from your workspace.
A good practice we have had is one of 2 options:
Option 1: All tasks must be assigned to someone and client tasks remain unassigned. We use tags to name it a client task
Option 2: If you want to give your clients access to the project, you now can do that and make sure that can only comment on those tasks.
Either option works, depends on which flow / path you want to take.
Creating a new license as “client” proved to be cumbersome for us.

Hope this helps!

Nice! Thanks Mark! I’ll play around with the Client tag too, but I think that search functionality in each individual project will work best for us: we’re setting up each client as their own project, so this seems to make the most sense to me. Thanks for the help - you saved me a TON of time!!

2 Likes

Hi Rashadlssa! Thanks for sharing your experience. I think I’ll go with a Client tag or just leave them unassigned and search within the project and multi-assign after I add the client. Thanks!

3 Likes

If licenses don’t matter, we use plus-tags on email addresses (being a google domain) to setup an secondary internal account for the managing person.

For example, if my normal email is ek@business.com, but I am working with AClient, I would create an additional Asana account like “AClient Contact Person” ek+aclient@business.com. Thus, task assignments are clear (AClient is different from me) and yet all the notifications go to my email. Read more about plus-tagging at Official Gmail Blog: 2 hidden ways to get more from your Gmail address

The plus-tag account doesn’t really have an SSO account associated with it, so I just create that account as a regular email + password account. I usually access that account in an Incognito browser window (to keep the cache/cookies separate). That said, I never really have to access that account directly since I see all the emails directly in my Inbox and can address them directly from my account, which doesn’t disrupt anyone since I’m the contact person for “AClient” in any case.

1 Like