Ability to trigger a rule to assign task to anyone rather than a specific team member.

Loving all the new rules available. It would be really nice if the rule trigger for Task assigned
would allow it to be assigned to anyone rather than a specific team member.

1 Like

Welcome to the Forum @anon2608640 and thank you for sharing your feedback with us! Note that I’ve slightly modify the title to make it more discoverable to other users in the Forum. Please don’t forget to upvote it!

Have a great week!

Hi @anon2608640,

FYI, this trigger is available in the If-Then rules functionality of my Flowsana integration:

1 Like

I would love to see a native solution for this as well.

The org I am a part of makes the use of integrations very limited.

4 Likes

Could anyone help explain this better?

I want to do this exact thing as a trigger to go from backlog to in progress. I see Flowsana integration but they are all in the “actions” list, not triggers. Also, I don’t see any conditionals. Is Flowsana somehow separate from Asana? I have enterprise license.

thanks

2 Likes

Hi @Jason_Hawthorne,

Yes, Flowsana (like the other integrations that have rule actions in the Asana rule builder) is a separate application (I’m its creator). While some of Flowsana’s rule actions are integrated into the rule builder, the full functionality is available via the Flowsana web portal. That’s where that screenshot came from.

Would be great to have a native solution for this, please. It feels like a pretty standard requirement when setting up workflows. Flowsana costs an additional fee and requires approval from the company.

2 Likes

Just so I’m clear. To use these we’d need a separate agreement / licenses from Flowsana in addition to our agreement with Asana?

@Jason_Hawthorne That’s correct!

Hey, I’m wondering why the task assigned trigger is forced to add a specific assignee in order to work. I think the most obvious use case for this rule is to move the progress of a ticket/deliverable from some pipeline or backlog into an “assigned” section. For a larger team it doesn’t really make sense to divvy up an asana board’s section by contributor but have generic progress sections for all contributors. Please add this as the default functionality (or at least an option) of the task assigned trigger.

4 Likes

same here, these rules for assigned become meaningless if we have to choose an assignee. I dont understand why they are designed this way.

When will Rules be corrected so that the trigger of assigned to allows for “Any” instead of forcing a specific assignee? I also want a native solution, not an additonal flowsana integration.

1 Like

especially bc Flowsana is an additional cost

My team also needs a native solution to this. I’d love a trigger of “assigned changed to any” or “assigned is changed from null”.

Please add this rule Asana! Assign to anyone rather than specific assignee.

1 Like

Hi there. I am creating a simple project workflow. I am attempting to create a trigger for when a task is assigned (to anyone, not a specific person) that task will move to the “In Progress” section. I cannot seem to find a way to leave the assignee as variable and still make the rule run.

TIA

Guys. This is open now for 3 years and such a no-brainer functionality. Can you please add it.

3 Likes

Adding my team’s vote to this need - it looks like we will have to use a workaround where we will also have to change a status to “assigned” to enable a task to move… which is the same number of steps as manually moving that task to the appropriate section. Would love this feature to keep things as simple as possible for users. Thank you!

1 Like

Is this possible yet? I want a rule that triggers on “assign to any user”.

Can’t believe this isn’t basic native functionality, how do we formally request this please @Asana?