Ability to Search Comments

When searching for tasks, it would be great to be able to search through the content of comments. Often I don’t remember the specific task, however I know the contents of one of the comments. Being able to quickly find these would be a huge time saver.

3 Likes

hell yeah :heart:

7 Likes

My team was discussing this the other day. Searching comments within a task would be extremely helpful as we have long conversations. Also the ability to reply directly to a specific comment, sort and have the comments sit above the activity details

1 Like

+1 from me as well. I comment throughout tasks and often want to confirm I went though all of my comments, or need to be able to confirm I left a comment.

It’d be nice if new comments also re-opened a task so it’s easy to find after the fact.

1 Like

Yes, please! Or at least it would be nice to run a report on user mentions. So, if I need to find all the comments where one of my developers is mentioned, I can go and see if they’ve responded to client questions. :smiley:

4 Likes

Performing a search for a date seems to only yield tasks with that start/due date. It’d be useful as well to see what comments were made across all tasks. (e.g., make a search of MM/DD/YY and it shows all tasks with comments made that date. Click within the task and the comment with that date is highlighted).

3 Likes

Suggestions - ability to search keywords from comments. This would help with backtracking communication between teammates on previously completed task.

The search results could be spit up by “task” then “comments found in task” pertaining to the search query.

Example:
Me and my team create a task to bake a cake. We then brainstorm via chat in the comments under the task about which ingredients to use. I mentioned the word “eggs” in the comments as one of the ingredients.

3 months past…

I go to make a cake but can’t remember all the ingredients. I go to reference Asana for the time I was creating a cake with my team… I would search for the task however I don’t remember the name of the task… But I do remember mentioning eggs in the comments.

If comments searching was implemented…

I would go to search for the word “eggs” and the task and comments including the keyword “eggs” would appear.

I would then be able to click on the search results and be directed to the task including those comments… now I can review the comments on the task to find the other ingredients. Problem solved!

2 Likes

Hi @Nicholas_Pinn! :grinning: This is a great feedback, thanks for sharing :raised_hands: since we already have a similar thread, I’m just going to merge this post with Ability to Search Comments to centralize all feedback. I hope you don’t mind! Let me know if you have any questions :wink:

3 Likes

Thank you! :grin::metal:t5:

2 Likes

Another YES! Vote here …

1 Like

frankly the search feature is very poor comparing with other project management applications like in Basecamp or communication hubs such as slack. The search tool should provide a well designed GUI for the outcomes of the search results. Results for a specific word must be highlighted and presented in a proper date order whatever the word exists in a task/conversation/url/file-name…adding OCR would be a great addition as well.

4 Likes

+1, there was some feedback from my team as well w.r.t. un-searchable comments, as we use Asana comments as meeting logs, would be awesome if we could search trough this :pray:

2 Likes

Also voting for this one please, would be a great feature and help us move most of our conversations into Asana instead of email.

1 Like

Right now, I’m not able to search for text that was included in comments in the search bar. If I have a task called “build widgets” and a comment that says “Alligator Shaped Widgets,” I search in the search bar for “widgets”, the task will come up. However, if I search for “alligator,” no results come up. This is limiting, as many members of my team struggle finding tasks in asana, and give up on using it for that reason. Being able to search for text from comments and not just task titles would help this.

3 Likes

It works if you use the desktop/browser Asana but even then you’re not presented with an easy to parse list but rather the list of tasks that contain that term. Search on Asana is surely broken. However, this is a bit of a workaround that could be useful.

1 Like

Really? I was testing in my desktop/browser asana and it wasn’t working for me.

Yes I use it daily on desktop.

1 Like

Interesting. It doesn’t work on my desktop browser using chrome. Search will return results for text that is in the description or title, but not text that is in the comments.

1 Like

Same for me, Kyle.

I guess you need to expand the hidden comments.