Ability to copy sections including all tasks in that section

Okā€¦we asked and waited patiently for 2 years and plodded along with cumbersome workarounds. Today we cancelled our subscription. After trialling Mdy, AT, Ntn, Avz over the past 6 months, we have seen Asana has not kept up with changes in the market. Sorry Asana, we gave you a fair go.

4 Likes

+1 for adding section templates. Seems strange to have project templates and task templates but not section templates.

1 Like

Itā€™s been frustrating making task flow templates under a Section, only to find out there is no way to copy the section (besides the workarounds in copying a project then moving the section tasks over). I would love the ability to just right click/menu click the section and easily make a copy.

1 Like

Welcome, @Jonathan_Chang2,

Iā€™ve merged your post into an existing thread. Please click the title to see the purple Vote button and click it to add your vote.

Thanks,

Larry

Is there still not a way to duplicate a section from one project to another? I tried duplicating the entire project, but Asana will only let me put the duplicate in the same Team, Iā€™d like to have it in another since many of the tasks in this project can be used in the other one. Do I really have to manually enter each task brand new?

1 Like

Welcome, @anon8765579,

You should be able to move a project from a team youā€™re a member of into any other team youā€™re a member of. If not, perhaps try these troubleshooting steps, then email support@asana.com.

Thanks,

Larry

I canā€™t believe that we cannot copy/duplicate a section (including sub tasks) - after all these years of asking. This is a real problem for me

It will be good to be able to save and call up a customised Section template.

please make this available

Is this functioning yet? I am at a loss. I canā€™t insert a section with its tasks, into a different project. Is there a way around this? @lpb

@Brandi_Rahill,

Thanks,

Larry

Thank you!! I will try the work around!!

1 Like

Any update on this?? Our team is contemplating switching to Monday.com specifically because the lack of this functionality is impeding our ability to efficiently use Asana, and I would really prefer to keep our system as currently set up. Any indication as to whether this will ever be a function???

Hi @anon21258358,

Itā€™s not a feature thatā€™s been announced, and Asana doesnā€™t have a public roadmap so we donā€™t know whatā€™s coming in the future.

This feels like such a basic feature that Monday does extremely well, and Asana doesnā€™t even support in a workaround. The closest I can achieve is by duplicating an entire project, which is excessive and lengthy.

I want a simple feature to CMD+C / CMD+V a multi-selection of tasks, or alternatively (rather, additionally) the ability to select a SECTION within a project and duplicate that, so I can build out a template of weekly tasks that will be duplicated and adjusted week to week without requiring tasks to be marked complete (which also means I canā€™t have a base ā€˜template titleā€™ currently, and recurring tasks duplicate as the latest title etc).

Iā€™ve seen threads on here dating back to 2017 asking for this feature. Please please please add it ASAP.

Iā€™ve merged your post into an existing thread where you can click the title to scroll to the top and vote by clicking the purple Vote button.

Thanks,

Larry

One simple FEATURE ā€“ click ā€œā€¦ā€ right side of a section and select from: ā€œDuplicate sectionā€

Duplicate section above
Duplicate section below

All we are asking. Please add asap. Thanks!

Does anybody who actually works for Asana look at these requests? It seems that the Forum is just a place where customers (the people who pay for the product to be developed and supplied) get to request stuff that is ignored because no Asana people actually look at it.

I have just spend 2 hours duplicating a section and its tasks, subtasks, and associated dependencies, into an older job that has changed its requirements. I should be able to import a csv, but dependencies donā€™t work when you import them with a csv, and there is no way to copy a section.

Hey @Alison13

The Asana team is always monitoring this forum and they are aware of popular feedback requests :slight_smile: They not only check the total votes but also the total views of a feedback request thread.

Since Asana does not have a public roadmap we cannot tell if and when this will be implemented.

However, what I can say is that Asana has always been and is constantly listening to their customers and implementing new features. Just have a look at all the features they launched in the last few months and also last year, which includes well-requested ones from the forum :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve given up on the Forum. Without feedback from asana regarding these request since 2017, whatā€™s the point of the forum? Without feedback from asana where these requests are on a ā€œroadmapā€/development, whatā€™s the point of the forum?

3 Likes