A guest without a paid license from his company should not be forced on a paid seat to be a guest elsewhere

Hi,

This is a use case our client faced and this is an inconvenience, let me explain.

Let’s say Apple.com is working with Agency.com. At Apple, not everyone has a licence. Bob from accounting for example was not allowed to have a licence, even though Apple uses Asana.

But Bob is working with Agency, and they invited him as a guest on their paid Asana account.

What is currently happening is that, in order to be a guest elsewhere, Bob is taking up a paid seat at Apple. There is no way around it.

Anyone else has been blocked by this?

2 Likes

Whaaaat? I didn’t know this. It sounds really odd.

So you’re saying that when Agency.com invites bob@apple.com to their workspace as a guest, that if he accepts that invite, not only does he get added as a guest in the Agency.com workspace but he also get added as a full paid user in the Apple.com workspace?

Even though I don’t work for Asana Sales (!), this is what I would expect so I don’t see anything amiss here.

If you login to Asana with a domain email you’re a Member of that domain. If that domain happens already to be a paid Organization, you’ve occupied a seat.

It sure would be nice if these things had been implemented differently, but that’s not how it’s been for the past ten years:

• Allow an Admin setting to make a domain user a Guest instead of a Member
  • Allow an Admin setting to make a non-domain user a Member instead of a Guest (that would be very useful for Asana Service Providers like me and others).

Larry

@Phil_Seeman this is exactly what I am saying. I can’t make up my mind whether this is expected or not… It does push clients to get licenses for everyone if they collaborate elsewhere.

I am having this exact issue. If anyone finds a solution, please let me know.

We don’t have a solution yet…

We also have this problem. I understand technically why it’s happening but it is annoying.

It is effectively financially punishing an existing client (apple.com) by forcing them to buy more licenses so some of their staff can be a guest in agency.com’s org. Whereas if we take another business that isn’t a client of asana at all, they can be guests for free. Seems a bit dodgy asana…

2 Likes

This is what I’m thinking, that Asana could make everyone who join without administrator’s authentication to be as guest. That way only those authenticated by Administrator could be members. That would be irrespective of domain. Sure, emails of same domain may still join their asana domains by default but they would be guests.

1 Like