A better Dashboard for high level overview

Hi @Alexis,
Thank you. I really enjoy using asana. So i just want to contribute to making it even greater.

We are using the dashboard :slight_smile: . As team leader, i add all the projects my team is working on in my dashboard, also the projects that i am not the owner of. We then use the google export feature to create a list of all the projects, to create a high-level overview of the projects, their status (both text and color). We then use that list as our starting point for our weekly meetings. Since we have about 30-40 different projects in our team, we had to subdivide our organizational team into 4-5 “teams” in Asana.

That is how we use the dashboard. I understand, and appreciate the ability to export it to a spreadsheet. But i could also see the value added in the ability to get the overview from within asana, since you would then have direct acces to the projects and task, while our team reviews the projects.

My point about the “company dashboard” is that i would like to have my own dashboard with the projects i am the owner of, and a separate “team” or company dashboard where all the team projects lives. (its not all projects that we want to show on the “team” dashboard) Does it make sense?

Your answer, made me remember another “feature” i think would be helpfull. The ability to “group” projects together, fx across teams or within “teams”. Ie. a “level” above projects, but across/below “teams”. This could fx be made with project tags. In general i think Asana would benefit from being able to “tag” projects, with information, like priority.

This leads me to your answer, about how you guys at Asana does it. To me it sounds like that you are using a “workaround”. In your setup the same “project” lives in two places:

1. In The “company objectives” project, where it lives as a task.
  2. As a “normal” project, where the “multi homed” task also lives.

If i understand your setup correctly.

So fx if a project owner updates the status of a project, how is that reflected in your “company objectives” report. In our setup that would be updated in our google sheets export. And it is that overview i want to have inside Asana.

In your setup would it not be a more “logical” view if the “tasks” in your company objectives report were actually the real projects? Do you understand what i mean?

Group of projects: Company progress report
Project section: team 1
project 1 - name / “status” / “color” / owner / deadline
project 2
…
Project section: team 2
project 1
project 2

Sorry for the long text.

11 Likes