When importing tasks from a CSV, how to mark completed tasks as such?

Hello, I cannot find a way to mark imported tasks as completed in Asana when there is a “Completed” colum in my CSV. When the import is done, I have to edit task by task to mark them as completed. There must be another way? Thanks.

Try to do a CSV export and look at how it is done, and do the same the other way around :stuck_out_tongue:

Bastien
Asana Certified Pro, consultant, author and developer

1 Like

Thanks, I can find the “Completed at” column in the CSV export, but when I import from a CSV I do not have a completed at date, just a status, does that means I have to force a completed at date when importing? In other words, a completed task in Asana is completed when the Completed at field is not blank?

Hi @Patrick_EMIN! Unfortunately, as it stands, it is not possible to import new “Completed” tasks, you have to manually mark them completed in Asana once you have imported them. I’d recommend using the multi-select feature to mark them completed in batches.

1 Like

Yes but multi select is not available in table project is it? Actions de tâche : créer, déplacer, dupliquer des tâches et plus encore | Guide produit • Guide produit Asana

Multi-select in Boards is now available (Asana Release Notes, August 2018) but at the moment it only allows you to move batch of tasks from one column to another; so you would still have to mark tasks complete individually. Apologies for the inconvenience @Patrick_EMIN!

I found a workaround on the forum, creating a report and multi selecting in a report, then marking these tasks as done, that works but does not allow me to recover a completed date from my CSV to Asana.

3 Likes

You can create workspace rules that are triggered when adding tasks to either a project or a section.

In my case, we wanted to set every task in the Done section (as we mainly use a kanban board) as completed, so while the first tasks were being imported I added a rule to set newly moved to Done tasks as completed. It has to be done while it’s importing because it creates a new section instead of re-using the existing one.

Yes, with the addition of Automation (Rules), this issue from 2018 can now be addressed. So that you don’t have to create Rules on the fly that compete tasks in newly added sections, you can use Custom Fields to delineate what tasks to complete!

Does the rule “new task added” trigger when you use the CSV importer?

Yes, just as it does when a task is added to a project via Forms