Visible actual time column in advanced search

Hi All,
Is there a way to make an advanced search that allows to see all tasks completed within some period of time in project / team in which the actual time column is visible (so we can sum it up?)

We used to make such saved search as a reports to our clients. We have been using custom time filed (Number type) with time entered manually.

If there is a way for it - for my team is one less tool to use (we were using toggl and clockify for now) but it would be great to have this kind of report in asana.

Hello @Patryk_D,

I recommend creating reports for this.

You can create a dashboard where you store reports per team member for example.

Here is an example of what you can set up. The above example was created within a project.

If you want to combine time from various projects go to the main “reporting” feature in Asana

Screenshot_5513

Then you can filter per teams, projects, etc

I hope that helps

1 Like

Unfortunately no.
I need to have more detailed info.

I need a task list view with time data shown on each task. I can achieve it with Estimated time, and custom number field but not with Actual time.

2 Likes

I would also like Actual Time to show up in the search results. Charts are useful but often I want to do highly customized searches, and just see the total time for that set of tasks. Creating a chart is often more cumbersome and also doesn’t show you the list of tasks.

Although this won’t resolve my need, I’m wondering how you do this? I don’t see any way to change the default set of columns in the results of an Advanced Search.

@Ashish_Agarwal,

You can see Actual Time as a column in search results view:

You do that by Search > Advanced Search > Add filter > Add custom field > Actual Time

Actually, click any chart segment and it drops you into search results view to see the tasks that make up that segment (but you can’t change the columns here; you have to start with Advanced Search as described above).

Thanks,

Larry

@lpb Thank you! Both answers were very helpful.

The search results do show the Actual Time field now. But a total sum is not given at the bottom. If we got that, it would be very helpful to us. Just for that one feature, we currently have to add all the tasks from the search result to a temporary project. Then we can see the sum, and then we have to remove all the tasks from that temporary project.

@Patryk_D Perhaps you missed it for the same reason I did. The dropdown list is only showing “Recent Fields”. Ignore the options and start typing “Act…” and you’ll see “Actual time”.

I meant to a temporary “project”. (I don’t see any option to edit a post.)

@Ashish_Agarwal,

Right, as you’ve discovered, the search results don’t offer those total sums. If you’re on Business or Enterprise, and if it might simplify your workflow, perhaps you could have a rule that multi-homes the tasks that need summation to a (private) project. Then you wouldn’t need to go through the extra temporary steps you need to now??

On the typo, I think you’ll gain edit rights here eventually; for now I made that change.

Thanks,

Larry

We are on a Business plan. We haven’t yet gotten into using rules. That’s a powerful capability that we need to start exploring. Thank you for the suggestion.

1 Like