Using Asana for Social Media Content Calendar

I use the calendar function of Asana to maintain my social media / content calendars. I manage 15 blogs with coordinating twitter, facebook, youtube, linkedin, etc. I put every task into the Asana calendar and add collaborators so they know when their content will be shared and when it is completed. It has helped my workflow tremendously so that I can keep posts spread out evenly. I can also move things around easily by dragging to another date. If you have any tips or techniques for using Asana for content calendars, Iā€™d love to hear them.

5 Likes

@sharonsuch This is a great workflow to organize in Asana- thanks for sharing.

A quick recommendation I could make would be to add a custom field to track the social channel for each post. That way you could filter or sort by channel for easy tracking across blogs.

Also, @paulminors shared some great practices on how he manages his content calendar in the ā€œProject Examplesā€ board. He included some great screenshots as well that are helpful- Iā€™d recommend checking that out.

Paul- do you have any other tips that you would recommend?

1 Like

Wow, thatā€™s a lot of content to manage. Iā€™m really enjoying the new custom fields as a way of highlighting the status of my content e.g. ā€œIdeaā€ ā€œIn Progressā€ or ā€œFinalisedā€. I also use tags to group tasks by content type e.g. Facebook, Blog, podcast etcā€¦

1 Like

Where do I find the ā€œProject Examplesā€ board?

1 Like

Hi @Tim ! You can find @paulminors ā€™ post here: Content calendar

Weā€™ve changed category names so youā€™ll now find this thread in the ā€œShare Your Best Practicesā€ category :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Tags vs Custom Field to track channels - spot on - because you canā€™t select multiple options in a custom field and content is often distributed via more than one channel @Kaitie

Very true, @Raegan_Hill I did create an ā€œAll platformsā€ custom field to use when Iā€™m making the same post across all of our social media accounts but maybe tags will work better.

Hi Paul/everyone I was wondering if thereā€™s an easy way to share just a board with a client. Basically I run my clientā€™s content calendars through asana under a ā€˜socialsā€™ board within their project and I want to share it with them as a guest so that they can see it in calendar view, add comments and add attachments but not edit the task descriptions or anything. From what Iā€™ve seen so far it looks like I might only be able to share an entire project, which would have all of the internal communications within my agency about work for that clientā€¦ maybe Iā€™ll need to create an external facing separate client named project to shareā€¦ Thanks for any advice in advance Iā€™m tearing my hair out over here! Cheers, Caroline.

Using an email external ā€œclient facingā€ project which you add select tasks to is a good workaround Iā€™ve used before. Just make sure the tasks you share donā€™t contain sensitive info. Also set the project to comment only mode.

Amazing, thank you so much Paul! Iā€™ve spent hours researching this so itā€™s wonderful to now have a plan of attack.

1 Like

I definitely recommend using the custom fields to indicate which site/channel it will be posted to. Saves time and allows you to sort. Excellent mention!