Users in custom fields (Created by)

The ability to select any Asana user from a custom field type: user would be incredibly useful for my company.

The main task can have a task owner, but it would be good to be able to create custom columns for other roles on the task such as “Copy Writer”, “Designer” etc.

This should be just left to subtasks, as sometimes these people’s role don’t include specific tasks, or their tasks come later down the line, but the assignees need to be visable from the time the project is set up.

Monday.com has the ability to select users in custom columns.

Asana should also have, Date, Time, URL, email, phone custom fields that reject invalid input (again text field is not good enough for this).

Asana should have at least all the same custom fields as in Monday:

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Created By custom field

Per @Kyle_Johnson’s post about Monday.com, Airtable also has a similar option. This is a huge gap in field type for Asana.

@Emily_Roman Hi, any update on this feature?

It would help us big time in tracking the general owner / creator of the task, vs who it is assigned to at the moment. This would allow for the task to switch assignees, depending on where the ball is at the moment, but to stay informed who is ultimately reponsible for managing this end2end.

Imagine e.g. a lawyer pipeline of issues, tracked in one project. The lawyer would like to see “table style”, who are the business owners of each issue/task, even though the task is currently on her.

The lack of the feature prevents few of the processes to move smoothly from gsheet to asana.

I understand that this feature would potentially also address the “multiple task assignees” problem, that is requested by many users.

Of course I also understand, that it creates number of questions regarding the implications for the users “used” in the custom field → should they see somewhere that they are selected in custom field?

For start, I would recommend to treat this just as another custom field, with users as a database to chose from. But not to complicate things and just do regular sorting / search / reporting on this, without additional views. Users can create custom reports for that if needed.

Currently I’m considering creating the custom field “users” and adding all the users by hand (plus remembering to update while people change) → you can imagine my frustration around it :wink:

best,
Bart

I need to see who created tasks, so that I can prioritize tasks created by my leadership.

This information is available in the task audit trail. If you want to see it in the list view, this is indeed not possible unless using custom code, which I can help you with.

I agree that this would be extremely useful. Hopefully this can be added soon.

As a user, I’d like to select Asana users as a data type when creating a custom field.

I could then name people/users in custom fields such as “stakeholders” or “QA’d by” or “submitted by” or “sales rep” or “product owner” etc.

Hey @John_Pirrie, just to ensure I get it right you would like to have a pre-programmed custom field that has the names of all Asana users in your team listed?

Would this product feedback request match what you are looking for? Users in custom fields

Also you can create such custom field manually very fast via csv import

Hi Andrea, yes the linked suggestion is exactly what I’d like.

I should be able to create as many custom fields as I like that use the dynamic list of account users as the possible selections in a drop down (a variation of selecting single choice or multi choice data types).

Okay sure I understand :slight_smile:
Make sure to click „Vote“ on the top of this feedback request post :slight_smile:

Please add this functionality. It is sorely missing!

This functionality would make such a difference in my organization’s workflow, please add :slight_smile:

Hi everyone! I see some of you have requested an option to see who has created a task in list view, similar as you can see the task assignee at the moment. I’m happy to announce we are launching the new Metadata Fields!

Going forward, you will be able to add the following fields to project list view by toggling them on from the Customize Menu:

• Created on
  • Created by
  • Completed on
  • Last modified on

If you are interested in having multiple assignee in the task as a second field, you can upvote for this feature here: Assign multiple assignees on one task

If you have any questions, please reach out via our #tips category!

2 Likes

Hi there! I can see the “Created by” field, but it doesn’t appear in the list when I’m trying to create a rule. For example, if this request was created by [name], assign it to [name]. Is that feature on its way? Am I missing something?

Those fields are not yet available in Rules, that’s why.

Hi everyone, I have some exciting news to share… :drum:

@Ben_Watkins from our Product Marketing team has just announced the new People Custom Field :tada:

Check out all the details and share your feedback on the main post below :arrow_down:

Looking forward to hearing how you will use this new field! :people_hugging:

3 Likes