šŸ’” Trick: Keeping tasks sorted even after sorting is turned off

I donā€™t know if anyone shared this ā€œtrickā€ before (at least I couldnā€™t find it :smiley: ), so I decided to share it myself.

Sometimes you might want to keep a project in a non-sorted view (for example, to have the ability to expand tasks with subtasks in a list view that is absent when a project is sorted), but you still want tasks to be sorted.

One way to achieve this is by sorting them manually, but thereā€™s actually a simpler method!

1. Turn on the desired sorting.
  2. Select all tasks in the section.
  3. Drag and drop them onto the same section header.
  4. Turn off the sorting.

You will notice that tasks in that section will retain the sorting you applied!

apply-sorting

Another benefit of this method is that you can have different sections sorted by different fields easily.

However, there are a few limitations to keep in mind:

• This method doesnā€™t work automatically, so if new tasks are added, youā€™ll need to either manually place them in the correct position or repeat the procedure.
  • You can only move 50 tasks at a time, so using this technique with sections that have more than 50 tasks can be a bit tricky (you can ā€œmoveā€ tasks with sorting turned on to the same section in batches of 50, starting from the bottom and working your way up).
2 Likes

:exploding_head:
you learn something new everyday!
Thanks for sharing @Ilyas_G

1 Like

What a CLEVER trick! Nice work, @Ilyas_G !

Brilliant!

I keep a section in My Tasks that needs to be sorted by date (a kind of Agenda) but I do it manually because overall in My Tasks I want it with no sort. Sometimes I wonder if I manually ordered incorrectly. No longer!

Great tip, @Ilyas_G, and beautifully presented.

Thanks,

Larry

How satisfying to have asked myself if this was possible and find out that someone did it the same dayā€¦ thanks for sharing!!

We donā€™t see new trick often, well done! @Julien_RENAUD @Arthur_BEGOU

1 Like

Really cool, thanks :wink: